Electric candle/wickless candle, tart warmers. Need info please. Update found warning

Hi- hoping this is the correct place for this q...

I'm pretty new to this craft and have been really enjoying making tarts. In fact, I have burned through one of those big bags of tealites already, lol. I'd make my own... except the reason I do tarts is because I'm not ready to mess with wicks! So tonight I purchased one of those <$5 electric candle warming plates from Wal-Mart. My question is... A: is there anything that you CAN NOT heat up on these aside from the obvious (like candle warning labels, lol) I know it says not to be used for food, etc... but what I mean is if I buy some of those basic votive jars from walmart, pour my tart wax into it...is that safely a wickless candle? What if I find something at the Dollar Store I want to pour into? Are there glazes that I can not heat on these things??? Ceramic? Thickness of glass requirements? Size of glass? Kwim? I know it's all about testing, i'm not trying to avoid that process, but I don't want anything to explode on me in the process. This is where I admit, hubby's OCD has rubbed off on me, lol.:rolleyes2

B: In regards to FP- does this tell me anything about how hot it can get on a warmer/over a tealite? Just how hot degree wise does a melted pot of FO and wax sitting over a tealite or warmer get? Could anything get 'too' hot? I like the idea of no open flame, but not sure I like the idea that these things can be on alllllllllll day and never go off after so long of time. I feel quite silly asking this- but it's just one of those things that i've been questioning in my mind. Mainly I just don't want any exploding glass- what I plan to heat on it is substantialy smaller than the big jar candles they market it for. Hope I'm making sense!:undecided

Any and all info would be so appreciated. TIA!!

Ok- I figured it would best to update this rather than make a separate post. I asked the q BEFORE I opened my electric candle warmer JUST IN CASE- Well I finally opened it today and in reading the instructions I found this warning: "...please contact candle mfg. to determine if candles are appropriate for use with candle warmer. Never use the warmer with vegetable wax-based candles. By way of example only, many White Barn Candle Co. candles are made with a vegetable wax base. WARNING: Using vegetable-based wax candles on the warmer is likely to cause the candle to explode.

Then it goes on to say you can't use your own jars, only use glass, don't repour into a mfg's jar, and dont use with home poured candles. I expect this as they gotta cover their butts. But what's up with the exploding vegetable based candles? I don't think they have any reason to use scare tactics and i'm not beleiveing EVERYTHING i read, lol... but it IS a pretty big warning on that topic. I know a lot say they have done all this 'bad' stuff with no disasterous results, but it seems it's just a matter of time???

Any words of wisdom?

Hi Blazerina...I'm new to posting but have been reading this board for quite some time. I'm soaking up some great information while learning to make Soy candles. Your question is something I have experience with. I had a "warmer" years ago when they were selling them to keep your coffee cup warm. I used it all of the time when I was crafting and my coffee was constantly ending up ice cold. lol I have some of the new ones from Wal-Mart and they haven't changed much. I've used ceramic, votive cups and larger glass candles without any problems. When I was testing scents in tarts I didn't want to keep cleaning out jars or votive cups so I started using tuna cans. They work great and I can have one for each scent. When the scent is gone I can toss 'em. The electric one doesn't get as hot as the one you use with tealites. I've left them on 24/7 without any problems.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Arlene. That's helpful info... tuna cans can not explode, lol...I should try that! :D I was also wondering how I was going to keep all the different scents going, lol. I think my problem is that as a tealite user for so long, I'm used to thinking things have to be placed ABOVE the heat source. And the idea of putting something directly onto one is kind of unnerving. Even if it's made for that, because my intent for it is to be able to get my family hooked on them and I can make them their tarts. So I would be purchasing different general use containers. And then there is the whole $ store quality/integrity thing... scares me, lol. But I guess i'm cheap enough to be brave, lol.

It's also good to know they don't as hot as a tealite even after hours of operation. Thanks again for the info. :grin2:

The warmers are on as long as you want them on.Don't have to be all day. 1 hour 2 hours or more.I have left mine on all night but swore I wouldn't.

For the glass candles.Safe glass and heat resistant and take warning labels off the bottom if people use the wick candles.I get alot of people tell me they do that.I use the votive cups all the time and also have used the 8 ounce jar candle.If I make anymore wickless candles I want the squat 8 ounce jars with a wider opening.Better scent throw that way.

You mentioned ceramic?Glad you did because it was answered for me.You are able to use it.I had a lady want my 12 ounce ceramic Christmas crock.I told her one thing it is quite large to get all that jar candle to melt and I told her I wasn't sure about the safety of ceramic and warmers.Now I know but will stick with the smaller ceramic.She thought it would be pretty on a warmer I am sure for the holidays.

I love making tarts too.

LynnS

Hi ! Welcome to the world of Tart Making! I just love making tarts and have no urge to mess with candles and wicks!

I have been making tarts since last Spring. You need to use a 17-25 watt warmer - otherwise it is not hot enough to melt the tarts. I use 25 watt which is not hotter than a light bulb. I use any glass container and never have had a problem with them breaking. I guess if it was a real thin glass it might not work. If you want, get the small pyrex bowls and they are really safe because they can go in the oven - you can get them at grocery or WM stores. I also use old small glass bowls that I find at garage sales etc. I was recently give a bunch of punch bowl cups free and they work fine too.

I only use soy to make my tarts. I don't know what that warning is about using veg. wax in glass. I found coffee cup warmers - 25 watt at WM with the cup for 2.50. The stores have some that are only 7-10 watts that are cheap but they do not get hot enough. I also melt candles with wicks on my warmers and have never had a problem - so you can melt them pour out the wax when the fragrance is gone and use them to melt tarts in too.

Hope all this helps ! You don't need those fancy tart warmers unless you want them or any fancy bowls - just be sure the glass is thick and not thin or that might break. I leave my warmers on all the time during the day but turn them off at night.