Colombus Foods

sudsy

I don't know. I buy that huge tub of lard at walmart for like $5-$6 (guessing on price but it's cheap). When it's empty it makes a great microwave proof soaping bucket.

Maybe you could cut it into chunks, wrap in freezer paper and freeze.

When I get my oils/butters in bulk like that, I usually do half in one or two pound bags (I keep ziplock in business, I swear!). For the second half of the box, I pre measure for making soaps or lotion bars - so like 10 oz bags for my soaps and such. Then I put all these baggies in a plastic tub and the tub goes under my table or in a cool dry place. I don't do this with oils that go rancid real fast, but for the most part its what I do. :) It helps me with my inventory and also makes it nice to make a "quick" batch of soap. ;)

HTH some...

Life & Light!

Tish

I buy their no stir palm and pko that come in big plastic bags (like garbage bags). I never thought of doing anything but leaving them in the shipping box. I store them in my workroom/laundry room in the closet I converted into a HUGE soap dry rack. Their stored on the floor, so when I need them I slide them out, unwrap, and use. Knock on wood I've never had a problem with melting or bugs.

lard in lotion bars? Really? Now that's a new one to me...

I've kept the big big buckets of lard from Walmart for quite a few months. The only time it started to smell funky is when we had a heat wave and the garage was quite warm. Good thing I was pretty much done with the bucket at that point

lard in lotion bars? Really? Now that's a new one to me...

I've kept the big big buckets of lard from Walmart for quite a few months. The only time it started to smell funky is when we had a heat wave and the garage was quite warm. Good thing I was pretty much done with the bucket at that point

If that was directed towards me, I do not use lard in any of my products. I'm not against people who use lard - I just don't use it. And BTW - I have seen formulas for ointments and lotion bars with lard and tallow in them. I've never tried them so I can not account for quality or performance. I was referring to when I get mango butter, cocoa butter, 92* coconut oil, or other bulk items. I do this because it is easier for me to keep inventory and for me when I want to make 6 batches of soap in a day (I don't have to spend half of my day measuring things out!). I do the same thing with my water and GM - I premeasure into clean and sanitized gladware containers, mark them with contents and weight, and toss them into my deep freeze. Not only does it save me time when I'm doing soap (both measureing and waiting for lye water to cool), it is easier for me to go into my freezer and count what I've got. I am in the habit that I measure everything out the same day that I get it. I also find doing a kind of "double container" helps keep things fresh longer and keeps it from getting contaminated with what ever can find it's way into a tub after a couple of months. Please don't take this as a slam if you store your oils/butters in this fashion - it just doesn't work for me as I'm a klutz - :D - and this method works best for *ME*.

Life & Light!

Tish

not that it has anything to do with soap, but I love lard and tallow for my skin. I know shea is all wonderful, etc., but if my palms are feeling dry or tight I rub them with lard or tallow. They are amazing at keeping my skin supple. Not sure it would sell (probably not) but it's a great thing considering how much of it I have around!

Yes, tallow & lard do have something to do with soap. Many people soap using either one or both of these ingredients.

yes yes, but that's not what I mean - I meant that the fact that I use them as "moisturizers" straight from the package has nothing to do with soaping! And I thought it might be a tough sell if I used them in my solid lotions even though I bet they would be fabulous! I use both when I make soap and love them for that too!