Yogurt in soap?

mandyx05

I think the yogurt would be fine in the soap, as cream, milk and buttermilk are all fine for soap. If I were personally making it, I would probably try 1 tbsp pp at trace, for starters. I currently use 1 tbsp pp of heavy cream at trace in all of my soaps.

I use yogurt in an orange castile and never had a problem. I make a 75 oz batch and use 20 oz milk and 8 oz yogurt. I use fruit and veggies in some of my soaps also, and haven't any go bad.

Go ahead and give it a try!:grin2:

Did you count the yogurt as part of your liquids?

Okay I was boggled by how LU$H managed to preserve their M&P bars with all the fresh fruits and stuff in them. Per their site:

"One of the things that irritates us just slightly is when we're not having a good day is that it's perfectly legal to call something banana soap when it doesn't have any bananas in it, but merely a dab of synthetic banana fragrance. Our banana soap has lots of fresh bananas in it; we mash them up, mix them with yoghurt, soap flakes and essential oils and make a truly bananafied, moisturizing soap that smells of bananas because it's full of them."

Here's the ingredients:

Sodium Palm Kernelate, Propylene Glycol, Natural Yoghurt, Fresh Bananas (Musa paradisiaca), Sodium Stearate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Perfume, EDTA, Tetrasodium Editronate, Glycerine, Sodium Chloride, Titanium Dioxide, Gardenia Extract (Gardenia jasminoides)

But then I noticed the Sodium Palm Kernelate and Sodium Stearate. That's saponified PKO & tallow, right? Ah ha! I bet they add the raw foods during the lye process. Otherwise how could they keep it from spoiling?

It does look like CP soap, most likely they add their bananas and yogurt at trace. That's what all the "sodium" names are. saponified oils. but see Propylene Glucol there? here is your preservative. it is because they used fresh bananas. if they would use powder, no preservative is needed. :D

I used quite a bit of yougurt in my first batch of CPHP. I replaced most of the water with homemade yogurt.

I had a difficult time getting the lye to dissolve in such a small amount of water. When I stick blended the lye-water into the fats the mixture immediately turned a bright orange OH-NOoooo.calvin-11.gif I stick blended the yogurt in and wondered what I should do to improve the color. I added some coco powder and it turned a funky orange-brown color059.gif

I began thinking I should have left it alone given it was mid October. The orange might have made Halloween soap.

As I cooked the soap the orange disappeared and I was left with coco colored brown soap. The soap was quite light with a creamy lather.

I would post the recipe unfortunately I didn't do a very good job of note taking on that batch.

I used quite a bit of yougurt in my first batch of CPHP. I replaced most of the water with homemade yogurt.

I had a difficult time getting the lye to dissolve in such a small amount of water. When I stick blended the lye-water into the fats the mixture immediately turned a bright orange OH-NOoooo.calvin-11.gifI stick blended the yogurt in and wondered what I should do to improve the color. I added some coco powder and it turned a funky orange-brown color059.gif

I began thinking I should have left it alone given it was mid October. The orange might have made Halloween soap.

As I cooked the soap the orange disappeared and I was left with coco colored brown soap. The soap was quite light with a creamy lather.

I would post the recipe unfortunately I didn't do a very good job of note taking on that batch.

I am glad it worked out for you. I think when I try it, I may use a bit less yogurt...may not get the orange color.

Moon Shadow-

According to other sources I've read, it isn't a good idea to use milk in hot process soaps because of the heat reaction with the milk. When you use milk or yogurt (and I believe fruits and veggies) it should be semi-frozen (like a slush). And from my experience, the color also ranges from pale yellow to dark brown. But keep your temps as low as possible. Milk soaps also have a funky smell for a while, until they've cured for a while, so your scents may be a little wierd too.