Question on gel candle kits

StephD

First off, let me say I make soy melts. I have done gel candles in the past, but nothing major, just a few for around the house. My daughter is wanting more crafts for Christmas. She loves the gel candle pies. I found a kit online but was wondering if it's even worth it or should I just buy the molds, wax, fragrance, etc., separate? The reason I'm asking is, I think I might get addicted to these while helping her out and I would hate to fork out money for a kit when I could have bought more supplies and molds of my own! lol Anyway, she's 11 and this would be a totally supervised project. The only thing she is allowed to do in her toy room unsupervised is paint. Everything else she has to do with me by her side. I know she hates it, but I'm making sure she's doing it right! lol Anyway, thanks for the advice!

Steph

In all honesty you are better off with a kit your first time out with pies you will get everything you need to make them.

Truthfully a lot of pie makers don't buy the molds just buy embeds from experienced embed makers.

Check this out http://www.brighterscents.com/cherpiegelca1.html For $24.95 plus shipping you get everything you need to make 6 pies to where it will cost you couple of hundred dollars to buy all the molds you need.

Thanks so much! I saw the kits and they really weren't expensive but I just didn't know which way would be the best to go. Also, I plan on working on embeds later this winter. I apparently think I don't have enough to do! lol I really like to stay busy. I will probably get her that kit and then go from there. She'll love it. She just doesn't want to make my melts, she says the pies are cuter! lol Thanks!

Steph

Just a thought, but my now 13 yo granddaughter has been doing stuff with me for 3 or so years now....

She has done the melt and pour soaps with the ducks and fish, etc and they are quite easy for young kids to do. The lava lip gloss was a project she did for Christmas for all her friends. Also the glitter gel, lip balm, rose petals, lotion (made with a pre-made base) Gift baskets/bags for her teachers and friends....hmmmm I am sure I am forgetting something but the ideas are there....lol She has a wonderful time making those things and it doesn't require hot wax or fire!

I'm not saying she shouldn't do the pies cause they are cool....just offering up some thoughts for other projects! I am always looking for stuff my granddaughter can make!

Have fun!

Hi, i was just reading your messages and i love the idea of having my daughters do some projects with me. they do help me when i am making candles. but my question is how can they make lip balm/ glitter loton/ all the stuff you mentioned, they soun like fun...please let me know. thanks;)

Many suppliers have the pre-made bases - for the m&p soap things, we bought our first supplies from WSP (I am almost positive)....For the lip balms and lotions, we bought pre-made bases from BCN, body safe glitter from AH/RE. I would look for supplies from the supplier you frequent the most - to save on shipping, etc.

Directions/recipes are available on most sites that sell the supplies and also the 11 year old can do some 'research' just by googling - my granddaughter has come up with some awesome (and not so awesome lol) ideas just by searching around on the computer. And there have been some great ideas here on CT -

She has her own supplies (I do not share well!) - her own shelf with all her stuff on it. When she begins to run low, we talk about costs and what she thinks she needs and how much.....And she always has her eyes open for things she can use at the dollar store, goodwill, etc.....

Have fun!

Thanks a lot! I order from so many places, I'll surely find something! lol I will definitely look into it. I know she would love that. I thought about making some lotions/hand soaps for Christmas baskets just for family. I've seen a lot of people rave about the soy whip that KY has and I really want to try it. Thanks again!

Stephanie

OT, but get a sample (75 cents each) of both the soy whip and the soy glaze - we (DW and I) found we like the glaze even better.

PS - I *love* the gel bakery kits myself - just starting with gel and I really think those are the way to go.

Thanks! I'm gonna be making an order from KY here in a couple of weeks. I will definitely try out samples. I've got plenty of time to figure out what lotion base I like. I am leaning more toward the pie kits, as well. There's just so much out there! lol

Thanks again!

Stephanie