Scale questions..

Where to find a digital scale? Ebay? Also, what is smaller than an ounce? Is that a gram...DUH... I dunno! :grin2: I need a scale that goes small enough to measure out the amount of FO to go into one 8 oz. candle (for testing).

~Thanks~

Where to find a digital scale? Ebay? Also, what is smaller than an ounce? Is that a gram...DUH... I dunno! :grin2: I need a scale that goes small enough to measure out the amount of FO to go into one 8 oz. candle (for testing).

~Thanks~

Grams and ounces are from two different systems of measurement, grams being from the metric system.

At 6% FO load for an 8 ounce candle, you would need 0.48 ounces or rounded up, 0.5 ounces of FO. You'd need a scale that can measure in increments of 0.5 ounces, or better yet, in increments of 0.05 ounces.

One of my favorite topics! Geez, am I a hopelessly obsessed candlemaker, or what? :D

I spent years using a really cheap scale from Walmart, but decided to upgrade and found the best scale - The My Weigh 7001dx at Lotioncrafter (a cosmetic supplier). Best $$$ I ever spent! My formulas are so much better with the accurate scale.

This scale gives you the option of switching between grams or ounces. It weighs very small quantities - 1 gram or 0.10 oz (1/10th of an ounce). For very small batches, the gram weight option allows you to be really accurate.

Now, the great part...when I was shopping for this scale, I found that most of the sensitive scales that weigh in grams only hold up to 3 lbs total. Ridiculous for candlemakers. The My Weigh will hold up to 15 lbs. It's just right for candlemaking. And I also use it to weigh smaller boxes for shipping.

It also has a Tare button (set your pot on the scale, hit Tare and it goes to zero, so you are only weighing the wax/fo you're adding to the pot). And a Hold button, so you can have the scale hold the current weight while you go find the extra ingredient you forgot to bring over to your work table. ;)

I only paid about $35 for this scale.

LOVE IT!

Here's the link for Lotioncrafter. The owner of Lotioncrafter, Jenny, is really wonderful, too.

http://www.lotioncrafter.com/store/My-Weigh-7001DX-pr-16157.html