tea lights

Hi everyone! I'm new at this also. I decided to make tea lights for my first effort. How do you secure the wick in the bottom of the cup? I used wick stickers but it seemed like a waste of $ for something so small. Is there a better system to use?

Hi Joanne, I simply place the wick (and tab) in the cup, pour in enough wax to cover the wick tab base. Reposition the wick tab to where I want it (it always moves when I pour the wax in). Leave it for a couple of minutes to set, straighten the wick and pour in more wax. I pour in 3 stages: firstly to set the wick tab, secondly to almost fill the cup, and finally to fill the shrinkage around the wick. HTH. Mozzie

Dont laugh but I personally use close pins! I will dip the tabbed end of my wick into wax, center it into tea lite cup, and use the tiny hole in the middle of the clothes pin for my wick top and just lay the clothes pin on top of the mold/cup. Unless I over fill, it works great! As long as I am using one pour wax, I only pour ONCE! There are times that they want to "float" off center a bit but I will wait a few minutes for the wax to start to set and reposition and it works! HTH!

God Bless,

Lynn

I use wax glue.

Mozzie: Do you get shrinkage on your tealights ? I use container wax and they never shrink, basically because there isn't enough wax to make a difference when it cools. Are you using pillar wax for your tealights?

Keith

Candelights in the UK

I buy my tealights.....but someday I will buy the mold that makes them for you....that sounds like the best way if you want to make hundreds. Anyone like the molds? Donita

I tried the mold and I hated it...the one from Candlwic...I bought the 15 cavity mold just to see how it works...

Want it? lol

The mold sucks, doesn't fill the tea-light cup all the way full plus the stupid nails or what ever they call them don't fit. I poked votive wick pins through the bottom so I could have holes for wicks. The ones I got were nine to a mold and are rounded on the sides so the outside sides are shorter so the wax flows over when pouring full. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY......

The mold sucks, doesn't fill the tea-light cup all the way full plus the stupid nails or what ever they call them don't fit. I poked votive wick pins through the bottom so I could have holes for wicks. The ones I got were nine to a mold and are rounded on the sides so the outside sides are shorter so the wax flows over when pouring full. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY......

The one I have is wonderful and sometimes if I don't watch it the tealight won't fit in the cup because it is too big. I love my mold. :)

Well......here I go again experimenting. I need to have hundreds and hundreds of tea lights that I know will burn properly.....or maybe I will have to have someone make me a mold one of these days....like Janet (creativegemsmolds)......she is very smart. Donita

Hi everyone! I'm new at this also. I decided to make tea lights for my first effort. How do you secure the wick in the bottom of the cup? I used wick stickers but it seemed like a waste of $ for something so small. Is there a better system to use?
Someone here once mentioned using memory book glue dots for tealights. I tried them and they work great. Quick to use and paper thin. I think a little less fuss than hot glue for a tealight.

I like to get the wicks in place and centered before pouring. Plus with the tab anchored you can straighen the wick without loosening the whole shebang (as long as you don't pour too hot and melt the glue).

Haven't really compared the price versus wick stickums but the stickums are too thick anyway.

I use those sticky dots too. very small and thin. Just touch to wick tab and stick in cup. And I sent Janet a couple of t-lite cups so she could see what I wanted. She didn't make them when I got mine. When I use mine they're about 1/4 inch from top of cup, either metal or plastic. Just poured in cups last time I made some. 2 pours works best for me and pouring cooler. Just thought I could pour in a mold and not have to pay attention to pouring so carefully. I have done my share of cleaning the wax off the sides of the darn cups....