Please Help!

I am using a wax mixture with Astrolite J223 and Comfort Blend IGI 4627. I am wondering why the wax is pulling from the container no matter what size or shape I por it into. I am heating my jars at 140 and pouring at 145. I am selling my candles at a tanning bed store and when I went there to do inventory I had to pull so many from the shelf. I have a excellent scent throw but I hate the way the candles look after a few hours.

Thanks in advance.:highfive:

I use a mixture of mostly J223 and soy, and I pour alot hotter. Pour around 170 and see what happens...

I do notice that no matter what temp I pour, the wax always pulls away from the sides of my square mason jars. Since I fill them high and they have a "shoulder" it seems the never adhere well, but they pull completely away and look great, too...so I don't mind.

HTH!

Guest amynleebishop

You said you heat your jars to 140 and pour at 145? J223 is supposed to be poured between 180 and 190 per most sites that sell it. What temp are you adding your FO and color? Have you tried pouring it a little hotter? BTW~ you are not pouring it very much hotter than its melt point which is 123-124.

wet spots just happen....maybe not today or tomorrow but any change in temp or sometimes for no apparent reason they do happen. Maybe do a search on wet spots and you will find lots of opinions.......??!

Just a question but did you not notice the wet spots before you began selling? You should not have to pull them from the shelves as there is nothing wrong with them - Go around to shops that carry other candles and you will see the 'wet spots' are very common....

You said you heat your jars to 140 and pour at 145? J223 is supposed to be poured between 180 and 190 per most sites that sell it. What temp are you adding your FO and color? Have you tried pouring it a little hotter? BTW~ you are not pouring it very much hotter than its melt point which is 123-124.

The IGI Web Site says that J223 performs best when poured at 145-155 into a heated container. I didn't think the temp I was pouring was my problem. I will give it a try. Also, I wouldn't mind the wet spots as bad if the entire wax would pull away from the container and not half of it making it look bad.

wet spots just happen....maybe not today or tomorrow but any change in temp or sometimes for no apparent reason they do happen. Maybe do a search on wet spots and you will find lots of opinions.......??!

Just a question but did you not notice the wet spots before you began selling? You should not have to pull them from the shelves as there is nothing wrong with them - Go around to shops that carry other candles and you will see the 'wet spots' are very common....

I have had my candles at the store for about a month and I go there weekly. The owner said people were asking why the candles looked that way. I guess I could let it drive me crazy huh! ;) LOL

The IGI Web Site says that J223 performs best when poured at 145-155 into a heated container. I didn't think the temp I was pouring was my problem. I will give it a try. Also, I wouldn't mind the wet spots as bad if the entire wax would pull away from the container and not half of it making it look bad.
You aren't pouring J-223. Neither are you pouring Comfort Blend. Each of those is formulated in a very different way to do what it does. When you mix them it doesn't necessarily combine the attributes. So basically it's up to you to figure out how to use this mystery wax. There may be a way to make it adhere better or this may just be how it works.

J-223 is the odd one out with the low recommended pouring temperature. The others like to be poured hotter. If you want to take your best shot with the mixture, my instinct is pour it at like 175 into slightly warmed glassware and cool it as slowly as you can.

Personally I'd just pick one wax or the other.

I've found that putting the jars back in the box and letting them cool real slow has helped the wet spot issue with 223. I do warm them some as I work in the basement and warming them removes the condensation I seem to get down there on the glassware. I also pour warmer than you, probably close to 160-170. Most of the time the wet spots are acceptable.. but every once in a while they are just ugly no matter what you do. My problem with this wax is it is no longer a one pour for me... I have a square, taller jar and it now must have the tops leveled with a heat gun as I get major pits.

I have had my candles at the store for about a month and I go there weekly. The owner said people were asking why the candles looked that way. I guess I could let it drive me crazy huh! ;) LOL

Chances are when the owner said, "people were asking why", it was only one person, maybe two. I wouldn't get too concerned about it. You could always buy a competitors (large company) candle that's doing the same thing, and carry it in to show to the store owner...:wink2:

Just curious...why are you using J223 AND comfort blend? I would just go with one or the other, both are great waxes. Whoever said that by combining them you are creating a whole "new" wax and that can change the ball game drastically is right. Once you start playing around and adding things here and there you can't really go by what the manufacturer says because you have altered the product. HTH

ETA: Do you have a picture we can see?

Might not be anything that you are doing wrong. I used to work in a tanning salon. They can get very hot with all the beds running, so they usually keep it pretty cold in the salon. Its probally just the enviroment they are being kept in that is causing it. If its just those candles at the salon.