HELP!! IM GOING CRAZY (Long Lasting M&P)

SalsolaK

Hello all. I am sort of new to the soap world & may I say I LOVE IT. I've been M&P'ing for about 3-4 yrs now & I would like to sell my soaps. ( Problem is I want them to last!!! I have tried cp soap (-- hate it/ I hate the whole lye thing & trace time. Next. I tried rebatching with Ivory soap(--- hated it too. too messy & I still smelt Ivory after I put my fragrance in.

(((( ~~~ I REALLY REALLY BADLY NEED A LONG LASTING M&P RECIPE.!!!)))))

ANY INFORMATION/HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPREICATED. I am truly loosing my mind:angry2:

---DD

www.SalsolaKali.com

I cannot help yo uwith your question (sorry) but I will tell you that if you want to rebatch, Ivory ain't gonna cut it. Ivory is fragranced with citronella (or something very like that) which has a distinctive scent of its own. I'm willing to bet someone here can sell you some nice plain unscented CP soap that you can rebatch.

As for a long lasting MP recipe, I'm not sure what you are asking for. You mean start with MP and add to it? Maybe you need a different supplier? Not sure what you need to know really. Making it from scratch will be way harder than CP....

What I am saying is when I order my opaque m&p. from naturesgardern.com It does not last long like cp soap. it seems as if One use & its gone! unlike dove or lever2000. I want my m&p soaps to last long. & for them to be hard!! Maybe you are right, mybe it's the supplier. Have anyone heard of m&p cold process soap? they have it at brambleberry & have anyone heard of stepenhson soap? Does that last long?

---going insane!

www.SalsolaKali.com

As Long as they last long! I do not want to sell to cosumers & thier soap is gone within the a week! I will not do that to people! I need it to last a least 1month? I have to find a recipe of my own & make them extra hard!! i will play around with it today!! Another Question can you make clear m&p soaps white? By adding in the TO stuff or no?

www.SalsolaKali.com

Try some beeswax.. Start with a few TBS pp of base and tweek your recipe from there.. I use more. It does make a really nice hard bar of soap that lasts longer than most of the CP I have in my shower right now! Also, the bases that you use for MP soap tend to be different as well, some sure seem to melt away a lot quicker than others.

...... have anyone heard of stepenhson soap? Does that last long?

Yes I use Stephenson's soap... which is a base from England. I've only been making M&P for the last couple of months, but I really do like this base. I use the Goat's Milk with a little bit of scent, castor oil, and it seems to last quite a while!:yay:

I work with a bunch of guys at a municipal garage, and I brought two bars for everyone to try! That was 3 weeks ago.. and they are still going...

HTH

Good!! that is what I love to hear! I need for the soaps to last 1 month or at least 3 weeks!! I will try that beeswax recipes & steric acid, & the castor oil too. :yay: Im soooooooooo happy! I will post on here to see if it works for me as soon as I order some excellent m&p soaps? Any ideas on what company is great!!

www.SalsolaKali.com

MMS (Majestic Mountain Sage) aka The Sage sells Stephenson soap bases. They are an EXCELLENT supplier to order from, but not sure where you're located so there may be one closer to you.

I've never tried this base though so have no experience with it. I use SFIC's bases and LOVE them.

One easy solution for you might be to simply make a bigger bar.

Another thing to consider is that just because your soap lasts a short time for you doesn't mean customers will necessarily be getting the same results. You may have more people using the same bar of soap in your home vs. someone else's home, and the water temperature you use may be hotter than another household. There may be more moisture in your shower than the next person's, which could also contribute to rapidly disappearing soap.

If you haven't done so already, you should have family and friends living outside of your home take some bars home and use them and report back to you on where they used them and how long they lasted.

Customers ask me how long a bar lasts and I don't tell them a certain amount of time. I just tell them how long the bar will last is really dependent upon several factors, such as where the soap is kept and how steamy your bathroom gets, etc. Some people work up a much greater lather than others when they use soap, so that also affects how quickly it disappears. I basically tell them that I can't really give them a specific amount of time because it can vary wildly from household to household.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you getting your m&p from?

Oh.. I like what you've said! But in general I think M&P soaps do vanish fast. I get my m&p from Naturesgardern.com & Since, I've been on here. I not get them from SFIC. I see there name on here a LOTTT. I think lots of people besides me think m&p soaps vanish fast & that is why the pur beeswax & other goodies inside them, so they can last long. '

www.SalsolaKali.com

There is a major Canadian manufacturer who makes m&p soaps and a LOT of vendors purchase their soaps from them because they are so cheap. I cannot verify it, but what NG sells certainly looks like the same soap. I used to buy that soap from a different supplier and I liked it. Then I tried Stephenson's, SFIC, and Crafter's choice. I immediately stopped using the other soap because I found it had an inferior lather compared to the other brands I tried.

I liked Stephenson's and SFIC the best and wound up making a bulk purchase of SFIC m&p and have been happy with my decision.

I think that's something else you might want to look into--trying other brands. Sometimes other brands might be cheaper, but you might find a different one, although more expensive might last longer, and therefore could be worth the difference in price.

As far as the beeswax goes, I took PA's suggestion before, and for me I found that it seemed to cut down on the lather. I'm not a dare devil like she is when it comes to soap, so I decided to just to stick with it as it was.

Have you tried using cocoa butter bases or oatmeal bases? Both of those bases from SFIC seem to produce a more firm bar than the goat's milk base does in my opinion.

Hi..I am new to the group,only posted a few times.I make M&P soaps as well.An old friend of mine gave me a trick that will harden the M&P soap..It does work for me..

Put 1/2 cup of water in a glass dish(measuring cup is what I use,and I also use distilled water) warm it in microwave.Not so hot that it burns your finger when you touch it.Add 2 Tablespoons of table salt..Stir 2 times..let the salt settle in the bottom,and add 2 Tablespoons of salt water (do not allow any salt in the spoon) to one pound of M&P..Then melt your soap base as usual...You can work with the amounts of salt,but this works for me.i could tell a big difference in my bars....HTH,hugs,vicky:highfive: