Cold Spray for Shower

Cami

I am working on developing a cold spray for use in the shower.

I have tried using some Witch Hazel and Glycerine and the scent of the Witch Hazel is over powering. I read a post with these ingredients so I thought I would try them together.... but it isn't turning out so good.

I tried to make a formula earlier this year but had no luck.

I've been looking at several formulas for different types of products, and there is a saline nasal spray that is just purified water and sodium chloride with no preservatives.. The salt is acting as one... Is it possible to make a formula like this - and just add menthol to this without needing a preservative????

Here is the formula I'm playing with...

I am using a carrier - either water - witch hazel, glycerine, menthol, and maybe some peppermint, eucalyputus oils, and some polysorbate 20.

Anyone have any ideas or recipes that would work for this....

Thanks

Cami, I don't make sprays like the one you are making so I can't be of much help there. But in reading about menthol and EO's, I recently ran across this info that you might find helpful as you're tweaking your formula:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-eucalyptus.html

According to the NIH, menthol is an ingredient in peppermint essential oil. This web entry has quite a bit about menthol in it along with the peppermint EO info, particularly in the dosage and safety parts:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-peppermint.html

Best of luck in creating a safe and effective product for yourself. :)

If it's for use in the shower I don't know how well that would work or have any results. There is a fizzing bath bomb product on the market.

Maybe make the bath bomb, it would work better, last longer and with longer lasting results.

There is a thread about this just do a search.

the saline sprays for the nose flush out the sinusesand keep them open so that bacteria does not get trapped in there and grow into sinus infections.

i use the very frequently as i have sinus problems 24/7, 365.

personally, i really would not want to squirt menthol up my nose. my nasal membranes and sinus cavities are already quite tender.

cheryl

Hey, Afrin rules!!! Every year I suffer through about 2 nasty colds per winter. I get a wicked stuffed nose and can't breathe. After years of suffering I don't know what finally made me do it, but I bought the nasal spray, Afrin. All I can say is, I could instantaneously breathe again after one shot. That stuff was like a miracle cure for me!