Help on Kit & difference between cargill,ez soy,naturewax and others I am confuse

:wink2: Hi I am just trying to get started making soy candles. Alll of the candle lingo has me confused what are the differences with the different waxes. I want to start with a easy to use wax that has a good sent throw hot and cold. I have looked on a few different websites and am confused on what to use . I see some on the board use EZ Soy. I do see some kits that include the NatureWax C-1 Container Soy Wax or Cargill Naturewax C-3 wax what is the best to use and what is the difference between the waxes. Cargill, Naturewax, Ez Soy and Millinmun wax used by Moon Drops company. I really don't want to waste money buying a beginner kit that is not worth it any help would be appreciated.

The different brand names are different manufactures. Some are 100% soywax and others are blended with other vegetable oils to make the soywax more manageable. Cargill is the maker of Naturewax C-1 and C-3. C-1 is a blend of soywax and palm wax and the C-3 is 100% soywax. I believe EZ Soy is 100% soywax manufactured by Golden Brands and is also called 415. There are different soy wax manufacturers just like there are different paraffin wax manufacturers. The best thing to do when starting out is choose a supplier closest to you so you can save on shipping. Have fun and test your heart out.

Hi, I am a noob too. I bought a container kit from BCN with ez soy. The jelly jars were not to my taste, but everything else rocked.

I liked ez soy ok, but I tried adding a little BW and it seems to have a creamier surface, and I pour a little bit warmer than 95-98, now I pour at 100-105.

I still have not tried adding any dye chips, but I did two test candles tonight and I used JS Vanilla Buttercream Crunch for 1 and Chestnuts and Brown Suger for 1.

I think the BW will help, I did a search on the net nd alot of soy users add bw to the soy, around 3%.

Have fun!!;)

My started kit came with Golden wax and it was good but then I found of a local place that had Nature wax c3 and I tried that. To save on shipping is a huge plus so you should look at what you can locally. But I have to say I was lucky because I like the Nature wax so much more. Easier to work with less frosting and smoother tops. But this is just my experience, everyone on here has their own personal favs you just need to find what works best for you. Good luck.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

What is BW?

Hi, I am a noob too. I bought a container kit from BCN with ez soy. The jelly jars were not to my taste, but everything else rocked.

I liked ez soy ok, but I tried adding a little BW and it seems to have a creamier surface, and I pour a little bit warmer than 95-98, now I pour at 100-105.

I still have not tried adding any dye chips, but I did two test candles tonight and I used JS Vanilla Buttercream Crunch for 1 and Chestnuts and Brown Suger for 1.

I think the BW will help, I did a search on the net nd alot of soy users add bw to the soy, around 3%.

I am lost...what is BW? Please help?.????.????.

Have fun!!;)

NatureWax was patented by Michael Richards, and marketed as PhytoWax. He sold the patent to Cargill who manufactured and distributed it for many years. They sold the distribution to Elevance, who currently makes & distributes it. So it's all the SAME wax, just different companies along the way. Some suppliers don't update their sites and it confuses the hell out of people.

EZ Soy is a private brand of GB 415 (Golden Brands div. of Gateway Foods)

Millennium is EL Millennium, distributed by Enchanted Lites Candle Company.

There are other generic sources of soy wax that suppliers contact to make special formulas that are private branded.

If you read the stickies in the General Candlemaking area, particularly the ones to help new folks, you'll find information on commonly used abbreviations, supplier abbreviations and their websites, etc. The site search and Google site search tools are your best friend & how to use them is described there.

Sorry, but candlemaking is a rather technical industry with lots of trade lingo. You won't learn everything there is to know in a day or a week or a month of studying. The best way to learn is to study and the answers are contained in the stickies and threads here.

BEFORE you start using additives based on something you read that someone you don't know wrote, do your own testing with your wax (if you don't know how to test, use the search tool to read up on how to do that). Study its properties and then when you are trying to resolve an issue, learn what the additives are that people use. Adding things without knowing WHY you are doing so will lead to confusion. Candlemaking kits are NOT like cake mixes. Many people buy a kit and still come out with candles that look, smell and burn poorly. It's just not that simple.

Good luck. :)

:wink2: Hi I am just trying to get started making soy candles. Alll of the candle lingo has me confused what are the differences with the different waxes. I want to start with a easy to use wax that has a good sent throw hot and cold. I have looked on a few different websites and am confused on what to use . I see some on the board use EZ Soy. I do see some kits that include the NatureWax C-1 Container Soy Wax or Cargill Naturewax C-3 wax what is the best to use and what is the difference between the waxes. Cargill, Naturewax, Ez Soy and Millinmun wax used by Moon Drops company. I really don't want to waste money buying a beginner kit that is not worth it any help would be appreciated.

Wow, such a question. First I'll ask the question of WHY do you want to make soy candles? Soy candles are trendy at the moment and have the claim of being a "greener" choice, all topics that have been discussed here. So, ask yourself why you want to make soy candles because for all of the PR associated with soy is true. Why do I say this, because soy (100%) is a challenge to work with, especially for the newcomer (as I am personally aware of); there are texture issues, frosting, wet spots as well as cold throw and hot throw issues. Many variables such as temp of melting, temp of fragrance oil (FO) addition, duration of mixing FO, proper pour temps, rate of cooling, tempering, type of dyes, type of FO, type of containers, cure time and certainly not last and least type of wick. All this and more and there is nothing more frustrating for the newcomer than to make a candle that seems to have no scent throw. You see it here all the time.

The waxes you mentioned are all good wax (I have not tried them all) but sometimes it comes down to cost. With shipping cost continuing to increase, buying what a local or close-by vendor has decides what wax one uses.

Going down the paraffin candle route is not a bad alternative, there are many good blends with work well (actually very good) and you can produce a nice creamy container candle, if that is what you want. A greater number of FOs will work with paraffin and if wick well, don't smoke or soot. They would make a great point of entry into this craft and you will learn the a lot in the process. If you still want to work with soy, you'll have to relearn a few techniques but your foundation will be a lot better.

DO NOT start making candles because you think it will be cheaper than buying them. NO WAY... and everyone here will attest to that. Making a good candle will cost you very much money for testing it. If I could start over again, I would start with paraffin and then when I got comfortable, start playing with soy.

• 4 years later...

The different brand names are different manufactures. Some are 100% soywax and others are blended with other vegetable oils to make the soywax more manageable. Cargill is the maker of Naturewax C-1 and C-3. C-1 is a blend of soywax and palm wax and the C-3 is 100% soywax. I believe EZ Soy is 100% soywax manufactured by Golden Brands and is also called 415. There are different soy wax manufacturers just like there are different paraffin wax manufacturers. The best thing to do when starting out is choose a supplier closest to you so you can save on shipping. Have fun and test your heart out.

I keep seeing the Ez Soy is the same as Golden Brand 415 wax. How do you know this? Anyway to confirm?