Hottest Burning Wick(s)?

I was wondering.....What is the hottest burning wick(s). I have not had to really seek these out since I mainly double wick, but I am trying to get a few status jars finalized (have had these stored for over a year) for Christmas and I am trying to single wick them. I am using Calsoy CB-30 in these. I was just curious as to what the hottest type of wick is. I remember reading it somewhere but cannot remember where. Are they the LX's? I know that Cotton wicks are suppose to be hot but are they the hottest. The CD's are working fairly well but they are struggling just a bit to get the last little bit of hang up and if I go bigger I will get too big of a flame at the beginning of the burn. Thanks for any input. :)

Thanks Diamond Creek. That helps. I think I have a couple of sizes in the paper core, but I don't think the biggest size I have is going to be big enough. I can't remember the sizes at the moment but when I looked at them I recall thinking I would have to order a bigger size if I try them out.

Are you using a soy/paraffin blend or a soy? In the status jars I am not using my soy but am using the CB-30 which is a paraffin blend that has some soy in it -- Calwax website does not give the exact amount. This is the wax that I tried in the very beginning but found it got too deep of a meltpool in my double wicked jars. I use it for my special one wicked jars, but the status jar is a little wider than the smaller one wicked jar I use this wax in. I do use the zincs in the smaller one wicked jars which work great but did not think they would be the best in this wax for the status jars. I have read that zincs are suppose to be a cooler wick.

I will give the paper core a try. Thanks!

~Holly

I thought that the paper wicks would be the hottest wick and then someone just told me that cottons are hotter than paper. I've wicked the status jars with a single 62P with success. These were only testers because I only bought a case trying to decide if I wanted to add them or not. I decided against them because I found other jars that I like better. I will be pouring in the status jars for family Christmas gifts.

Maggie

I would take a look at this link if I were you and get some samples. According to what iv'e read and tested paper burns the hotest but everyone's results are different and opions can differ. Depending on climate altitude and temperatures we all seems to get different results!

http://secure.candlesupply.com/search_category_main.cfm?queries_index=index6&ProductCodeID=36

Try the HTPs

Thanks Carrie. I didtry a couple of sizes of HTP's but they were not quite right -- still have some other sizes to try with the HTP's. I then jumped to the CD's. I was really curious about these since I have heard good things about them. I have never tried them before. I will give some of the other sized HTP's a try. :)

I would take a look at this link if I were you and get some samples. According to what iv'e read and tested paper burns the hotest but everyone's results are different and opions can differ. Depending on climate altitude and temperatures we all seems to get different results!

http://secure.candlesupply.com/search_category_main.cfm?queries_index=index6&ProductCodeID=36

Thanks Diamond. I will take a look. :)

I thought that the paper wicks would be the hottest wick and then someone just told me that cottons are hotter than paper. I've wicked the status jars with a single 62P with success. These were only testers because I only bought a case trying to decide if I wanted to add them or not. I decided against them because I found other jars that I like better. I will be pouring in the status jars for family Christmas gifts.

Maggie

Thanks Maggie for your results. I only have the 60-44 and was hoping that this store in WA would have the biggest size (62), but of course they do not. We sure are limited with supplies in the Pacific Northwest. We have some candle supply stores but they never seem to carry enough variety. It would have been great if I could have ordered them from Let It Shine because I could have gotten them real fast. I just placed an order with BCN which arrived today. Now if I want to try the 62P I will have to order again. ugh I will keep trying. Thanks.

It's cotton, then paper and zinc last. Or is it rock, paper, scissors?

:D Thanks Eugenia. So, where do the non-cored/braided wicks fit in -- with the cotton? I should probably know this, but have always either used RRD's, Hemps, or Zinc -- never had to seriously study this part -- only briefly read about it now and then on the board somewhere.

Hi Holly,

I know I'm late replying to this thread, but I have a sample pack of paper wicks from BCN if you want me to send you a few. I'm in Washington too - near Spokane - might be quicker than waiting for a supplier if you haven't already ordered (we are most definitely supplier-challenged around here!). PM me if you want me to send you a few...

Lori

Hi Holly,

I know I'm late replying to this thread, but I have a sample pack of paper wicks from BCN if you want me to send you a few. I'm in Washington too - near Spokane - might be quicker than waiting for a supplier if you haven't already ordered (we are most definitely supplier-challenged around here!). PM me if you want me to send you a few...

Lori

I sent you a PM. :)

I normally use CD's because they burn just right for me. I have actually tried almost all of them. But I have noticed the hotter ones seem to be Premeir 700's and the Eco's. That is going by my testing. Not the by the wicking charts. This is with both 415 and 464 by the way.