Seamless Pillar Molds

Both seamless aluminum and seamed tin molds usually have a hole for the wick. You can use either with a wick pick or wick the mold. I have both but prefer the seamless and I use wick pins with them. Since I'm fond of tilted layers, the wick pins ensure that my wick is straight in the candle.

I have the molds with seams and I wish I had seamless ones. I dont like the ones with the wick hole. I'm going to get some of the pillar wick pins one of these days. I think it will be alot easier. With seamless I believe you dont get any lines on the side either.

I'd definatly go with the seamless and use wickpins.

I would love to have seamless lately. I've had lots of leaks, not only from the wick hole, but because my molds are a little old, have been used lots, and the sautering (sp?) is breaking down. The leaking is driving me crazy! Such a waste of time and effort....:sad2:

• 1 year later...
so how do you prewick a seemless mold? I can't figure out how you would do it so that it would not tilt around on the plug over the hole

Jorie

Depends upon if it is a concave top mold or a flat top mold. We use pieces of cardboard to level molds.

I like seamless aluminum molds with wickpins.

Well Jorie, when I was wicking pillars, I threaded the wick through the hole, tied it around a wick rod/stick/pencil (anything that held some tension), pulled it tauntly from the wick hole end. Now, I didn't use plugs. Never could get the buggers to stay. I would poke through my wick with a pin or needle, mash the stuff down and tape off the bottom (used too much tape so wick pins are a savior to me) and then I would mash the bottoms with putty just to make sure I had a seal. As for the tape, I usually had that so smooshed against the mold you could see the outline of the pin and the wick.

well, I usually use the putty/tape method on my other molds, but that always leaves a little lump on the bottom. Im not aversed to using a wickpin, it's just the image I get in my mind of candles made with them is those cheapy ones that have the hole in them that is bigger than the wick.

those cheapy ones that have the hole in them that is bigger than the wick.
Testing wicking is MUCH easier when you can simply remove a wick and insert another. The first time the candle is lit, there will be no discernable space around the wick. I have never noticed that the hole left by my wickpins is that much larger than the wick, especially when wicking larger candles (fatter wicks). Votive wickpins have thinner pins than do pillar wick pins.

The excess space surrounding a wick is far more attractive than an off-center wick and much easier to correct. :wink2: