Ran out of repour wax! Darn!!!

So last night I melted about 7 pounds of wax for some vanilla scented candles I was making. I had 10 molds of various sizes, and while I knew it would not be enough wax for ALL the molds, I figured I'd just make as many as I could. Well, I guess I got a tad over-zealous because when it was time to do the second pour to fill in the relief holes (these were all pillars, BTW), I ran out! :sad2: :awww:

Don't even get me started on the color! Since I was making vanilla candles, I wanted them to be pretty much white. Well, I added Ivory colored dye (about 10 drops)...too much, obviously...because they are all caramel colored! Argh!!! I don't like it at all, but what can I do?

Also, the Vanilla Passion FO that I used is VERY faint. Is that how it is normally, or did I possibly get a bad batch?

So anyway, I guess I just needed to vent about my learning experience. Sigh...

just melt down a couple of the ones that you dont need and use that to do the repour.

There is a calculator in the General Information section on the left side of the screen that you can use to help you calculate how much wax you're going to need for your molds.

I dont know anything about your Fo though, maybe next time try it with a single candle before making a bunch? that's what i usually do so I dont waste a ton of wax.

Yes, indeedy, always make a test candle first. You will ultimately have to make a test candle from each mold if the molds are of different sizes and shapes. To pour several different shaped test candles and try to test them all in the same time frame will get very confusing unless you are very familiar with your wicks.

Forgive me for assuming, but I'm thinking you are new to candlemaking. Knowing your wicks will be your biggest challenge.

Vanilla can be hard to wick. It can be heavy and require wicking up. Each candle from a different mold will burn differently. Unless you've poured this fo before, you really have no idea how to wick it. And unless you have a very large test area or multiple test areas that do not overlap, it's best to make a single test candle and burn it to the ground before you will have any idea where to start on wicking subsequent ones and before you will know how the tester throws. You may have to adjust wicks and fo load several times before you get what you're looking for. In fact, you may never get what you're looking for with any specific fo.

Your wax is not wasted. As stated, melt one or all of them and start over. Melt on low heat so as not to burn off any fo.

A side note about the ivory dye...I've yet to find an ivory dye that actually will be ivory. They all turn out tan. That's with 1 drop/lb wax. Ivory dye chips work really well.

I even did 1 drop of dye per 3lbs of wax and it was still wrong. I use liquid dyes for all my candles, but it looks like if I want ivory, I'm going to have to use the chips.

Thanx for the replies. Yep, I am new to candle making. (Pretty obvious, huh?) I was planning on testing the scent in all of the molds. But I can see your point, Sliver, that it would be best to stick to one mold at a time.

As for wicking, I was planning to start with the suggested wick size from the supplier and working from there.

Question: is it really even worth testing any of these if I didn't achieve the particular color I want? If the dye (as well as FO) can affect the burn, wouldn't it be a waste of time to test these...cuz I KNOW I'll never make this color again! Yuck!!

A side note about the ivory dye...I've yet to find an ivory dye that actually will be ivory. They all turn out tan. That's with 1 drop/lb wax. Ivory dye chips work really well.

I even did 1 drop of dye per 3lbs of wax and it was still wrong. I use liquid dyes for all my candles, but it looks like if I want ivory, I'm going to have to use the chips.

I'll have to get some of those ivory chips then. My next question was gonna be to ask how others achieve the white color. I don't think the wax without added dye would be a sufficient white color. But maybe I'm wrong.

To obtain an ivory color, I use my ivory die and use a toothpick dipped in the dye and gradually add to the color. My experience has been as long as my scent wasn't dark, my candles came out a beautiful white color. I use a para/soy blend. Good luck. And...vanilla passion is a light scent. Good luck in your testing.

The toothpick idea will work. It's not ideal for me because when I'm making pillars, I'm making a lot at a time and need to have consistency in my colors. I sell them wholesale to stores and they expect their reorder to match the old ones. If I can't count drops/lb, then it makes it way too difficult for me to be consistent.

Alot depends on where you get your dye from. I've used the Ivory from Rustic Escentuals for years and it's always a perfect ivory. I never get a tan unless I use too much. :cool2:

What wax do you use this in? I get a better ivory with my container wax, it's the pillar wax that ends up too dark. I've tried Peak, Lonestar and one other...but not RE. I might have to order some to try...

You can use your ivory liquid dye and make your own wax dye chips. Just add a drop to an ounce if wax......let harden in a muffin cup and then cut in to 4ths. Make a few so that you have them. That way if you use one 1/4 per pound you will alays be consistant on your colors.

HTH