More Brown GM Soap LOL

Hibiscus

These are my second and third gm soaps. I've seen others gm soap that was white with pretty swirls and was wondering why is it that mine always comes out brown?. Don't get me wrong I like the brown, I was just wondering if it has anything to do with liquid gm as opposed to powdered..or the amount of gm...arrgh not gonna change my recipe because I love it as it is...just curious.

They must be doing the power GM thing and just adding the power at trace. They could also be freezing their GM and sprinkling the lye on top, so it doesnt burn the GM. Those two things along with white and light colored oils will result in a whiter GM soap.

BTW I love the color of the first pic, looks like brown sugar. Straight cuts too, love em.

I'm freezing my gm and sprinkling the lye on top. It's not burned, it never really has a chance to heat up. I not only freeze it but sit the milk in an ice bath while I'm adding the lye. but I suspect they are using powder too. BTW all of my oils are light. I use this same recipe without gm and the soap is white.

Thanks!

I use 100% goat milk & I get "slightly off-white" and beige soaps quite often if I'm using fo's that don't discolor. Only time I get a really brown soap is if it's some sort of vanilla or coconut. I don't use gm powder either. What I do is use the canned goat milk from wally-world (which needs equal water to be reconstituted) and I mix my lye with the WATER, then add the canned goat milk at trace. In other words, if recipe calls for 8 oz fluid, I mix lye with 4oz water & then add 4oz canned GM at trace. That way I don't have to worry with ice baths, freezing the milk, etc. Hope that helps! :-)

edited to add: Gelling also plays a key role in determining how light a milk soap will be. Non-gelled soaps are somewhat lighter in color.

I do a 100% fresh goat milk soap with cocoa butter and it stays a light bone color. I freeze my goat milk and pour the lye directly over the frozen cubes and I soap at cool temps and watch the f/o's or e/o's I add to it .. I usually use a e/o blend. And I don't let the soap gell. It has taken me quite a few batches to know what scents I can & can not use to keep it a light color. Goatmilk soaps are by far my favorite soaps to use.

I use 100% goat milk & I get "slightly off-white" and beige soaps quite often if I'm using fo's that don't discolor. Only time I get a really brown soap is if it's some sort of vanilla or coconut. I don't use gm powder either. What I do is use the canned goat milk from wally-world (which needs equal water to be reconstituted) and I mix my lye with the WATER, then add the canned goat milk at trace. In other words, if recipe calls for 8 oz fluid, I mix lye with 4oz water & then add 4oz canned GM at trace. That way I don't have to worry with ice baths, freezing the milk, etc. Hope that helps! :-)

The ice bath is no worry and although I could probably do very well without it, as a newbie to gm I felt I should be xtra careful..LOLGelling also plays a key role in determining how light a milk soap will be. Non-gelled soaps are somewhat lighter in color.

My soap didn't gel and I didn't use a fo in either batch. I also use gm from walmart but it's not diluted.

My goats milk CP recipe says to add the nearly frozen milk to the soap pot AFTER the lye has been mixed with the oils. When I started doing this, all my batches come out a creamy ivory color.

Dianne

I found my instructions somehwere online and it said to add it frozen to the lye so that's what I did..LOL.it's a very nice soap though:shocked2:

I use fresh goats milk in my soaps and unless I am using an FO that discolors to brown .... mine are usually a light cream color.

What FO are you using?

None. I wanted it to be fo free. I added oatmeal and hmmm just maybe it's that one secret ingredient that makes it brown;)