This may sound crazy but...

MochaMama

could you use bare escentuals mineral makeup (this is the brand I have) to color lotion bars (made of oil only) ? I ask only because I have several coffee scents and am having a hard time getting the brownish color right with my mixing of colors. I was thinking mix a bit of the makeup with some oil, then mix it in with the rest of the batch.

What do you think?:cheesy2:

You never know until you try it....

Powdered chocolate is a great way to get a beautiful brown color. I used the baking chocolate that is in a powder form. You cannot smell the chocolate at all but is a beautiful brown and you can achieve different shades depending on how much you add.

I have cocoa powder - I was just reluctant to use it because I thought I would then need a preservative, which I don't have. Do you use a preservative? My lotion bar is all oil, no water.

I don't know.. Mineral makeup also has oxides in it, and that will color the skin when applied like that. I'd still try it though..lol

Well they don't color my skin when I use them, but I only use a TINY TINY bit. That's all it takes, really! :) And I'm just using the micas straight up. Not mixed with anything else. (Don't know diddly about mixing up mineral makeup, I do confess. ;) )

I tried using some of my mineral makeup to color lip balms and it made them a harder texture that cracked because of the clays and oxides in them. I'm not sure how it would work on other products. But, if you use regular mica with no additives it works a lot better.

Thanks for all your advice. I went ahead and used the cocoa powder and it worked:yay: . Now I don't have to sit with toothpicks and freezer paper trying to make a brown that works. Usually I ended up with gray!! Yay, cocoa powder!!!

Also, I am going to read the ingredients for the mineral makeup to see what is in it exactly. Maybe I could use them to make a neutral lip balm that colors the lips.

Thanks again all!!