Mottling Wax Question

Hello All! Im experimenting with mottling wax and am having a problem. Im useing GL's mottling wax, which by the way loves to mottle for ya, very beautiful. Im heating to around 195 adding FO and Dye, and pouring immediatly into super hot aluminum molds. Cooling slowly. I get great mottles, but something Im getting that I dont love is pin holes. I have noticed the slower I cool them, the less pin holes I get, but I get them regarless. I read somewhere on here last night about possibly useing a little steric to get rid of the pin holes, but it didnt mention how much a little was. Any help will be much appreciated. :D

Really, for mottling wax? To be honest, I had a little wax left in the pour pot after I was done, and I poured it in a votive mold that was not heated. It has more pin holes than any of the others. I wrapped one in a towel, so it cooled slower than all the others, and it has the least amount of pin holes. Not trying to say your wrong, it just seems like Im getting the opposite results. :cry2:

Well, I poured it at 180 (a votive) into a clean mold (I clean my molds by heat gunning them and wiping them out) that was room temp. I ended up with absolutly no mottle and the entire bottom and sides are covered with pinholes. :cry2:

My directions say I have to heat up to 195-200 and pour into heated molds to acheive a mottle. ???????? Boy oh Boy, do I love testing, LOL! Im gonna try to add some steric, and bang the mold with a spoon to bring up any air bubbles. I appreciate you guys trying to help, and value your opinions. :wink2:

Try it with a couple of T of steric. It shouldn't affect the wax greatly. There's 343 vybar out there for mottles too. I probably have some I don't use if you're interested.

Personally, aside from pouring too hot (which those initial temps you had would be too hot for me) and clean molds would be not pouring too fast or too slow either.

Well, maybe the votive just cooled to fast to mottle? But it did have more pinholes on it than any of the others. Im pretty sure I do pour at around 180, as I heat to 195 in my presto pot, put into the pour pot, add FO and dye, stir slowly for about 1 1/2 minutes with a metal spoon, then pour slowly into a heated mold. By the time I pour it I know its gotta be 175-180. The best one I have gotten so far was by following the directions above, and then wrapped it in a towel to let it cool really S-L-O-W. That was a 2x3.5" and it took 4-5 hours to cool. Maybe cooling to fast causes the air bubbles to not have time to rise? Blah, I suppose there are so many different things that could cause this, as you all have said. Time to get into Mad Scientist mode and TEST some more, LOL! :D

• 2 months later...
Hello All! Im experimenting with mottling wax and am having a problem. Im useing GL's mottling wax, which by the way loves to mottle for ya, very beautiful. Im heating to around 195 adding FO and Dye, and pouring immediatly into super hot aluminum molds. Cooling slowly. I get great mottles, but something Im getting that I dont love is pin holes. I have noticed the slower I cool them, the less pin holes I get, but I get them regarless. I read somewhere on here last night about possibly useing a little steric to get rid of the pin holes, but it didnt mention how much a little was. Any help will be much appreciated. :D

Funny where is a good place to locate this wax? Is there a good mottling wax for containers?