What to do about soap discoloring???

julie c

Ok, I've mastered CP. Love it! My problem I'm having is my soap always discolors. I'm using my candle safe oil. I've tried strawberry crunch and pink sugar. Is there an additive that soap makers use??? Or maybe people use essential oils?? I've seen pink sugar soap and the bars are white with nice pink swirls!! Mine looks aweful brown.

Can anyone pass their knowledge on this. My soap is fine otherwise, I hate to give my friends some of my ugly bars. They're probably expecting a white pretty soap!!!! UGH!

Thank you!!!!;)

Ok, I've mastered CP. Love it! My problem I'm having is my soap always discolors. I'm using my candle safe oil.

Hi Julie! :) Did you mean to say that you're using soap safe fragrance oils, or maybe B&B safe oils? The reason I ask is because candle fragrances are not safe to use for soap unless they're specifically marked safe for soap and/or B&B use. Just an FYI for ya. ;)

You'll find that vanilla-ish fragrances discolor soap. It's the nature of the vanilla beast, I guess. I do recall seeing somewhere that there is a Pink Sugar FO that doesn't discolor, but I can't recall who the supplier is. Hopefully someone else can respond on that for you.

I think maybe you need to look at your recipe.

Are the oils that you use the reason for the discoloring? I know recipes that have a high percentage of olive oil or cocoa butter will turn tan. I had this problem earlier on and I did not understand why until I did a little research and learned what oils to use to get a whiter/lighter bar.

Yes, agree with the previous poster who said vanillin in your fo's will turn soap brown. The more vanillin, the darker the discoloration, in general.

You can try not scenting your swirl portion; it stands a much better chance of holding its color if there's no fo in there. And there are lots of fo's out there that don't discolor. You can check to see which ones don't on a fragrance review board for cp soapmakers. Also, if a fragrance oil discolors only slightly, you can add some TD to your soap to keep it white.

Happy soaping! :)

Edited to add that TD is titanium dioxide, a commonly used whitening agent.

Hi!! thank you for all of your replys. Yes I used B&B safe fo. I don't use olive oil or cocoa butter in my recipe. So the TD is an additive I can buy to get my soaps white? Also, I can check to see that some B&B fo won't discolor. THe supplier will give that info? Thanks again, Julie:rolleyes2

The TD won't make a brown soap completely white. It lessens the effect of the darker color, and in some cases, it doesn't lighten at all. Be sure not to add too much TD, that in itself can cause problem.

all FO are listed under the company. When you find the FO, read the reviews. Some users are very specific, others use abbreviations, which can make it hard to read a review for a new soaper. "A" means accelerated. "D" means discolored (and they usually note the amount of discoloring and what it discolored too). If you find one that discolored tan or med brown, I'd say that would be one to try out the TD on and see what you get.

Rebecca, I went to the website, not seeing the companies you said to look for and check their fo's. What is it under? ALso where in world to buy TD? I checked a few candle/soapmaking places, they don't sell, How MUCH to add per lb???? Thanks soooo much!!!:D

Rebecca, I went to the website, not seeing the companies you said to look for and check their fo's. What is it under? ALso where in world to buy TD? I checked a few candle/soapmaking places, they don't sell, How MUCH to add per lb???? Thanks soooo much!!!:D

Julie, I'm so sorry about that. I gave you the wrong website.

Here is the correct address:

http://scentreviewboard.obisoap.ca/

You'll have to register and wait for approval. Once you get approved, go there and sign in. Then you'll find a section in this forum for each FO company out there (or at least the very large majority of them) and under each company are the FO's they sell that have been rated.

Once again, sorry for giving you the wrong address.

Regarding the TD. I'm not sure who sells it. I bought it from a coop here at CT. The amount to use should be listed at the supplier's site (it's a pretty small amount). I'd look at www.brambleberry.com or www.the-sage.com and see if they have it there. I believe you'll want to look under their colorants area for the TD.

There are 2 kinds of TD, oil soluable and water soluable. Both work the same, it just depends upon what you mix it with.

Wait a minute, there's a pink sugar out there that doesn't discolor?

I got a bar of soap in a swap that was pink sugar, and it was discolored, but not nearly like SW PS. She used a WSP additive that keeps the vanilla from browning (I think) and she used another supplier's FO, but I don't remember which one. The color ended up lighter than tan, maybe by a smidge or two.

I do believe that Eugenia and I discussed this bar here in some thread. If you don't find the thread where it's talked about, I'll try to remember to look for it later (if you want it) and if I can't find it, I'll pm the woman who made the soap and ask her again how she did it.

The TD won't make a brown soap completely white. It lessens the effect of the darker color, and in some cases, it doesn't lighten at all. Be sure not to add too much TD, that in itself can cause problem.

all FO are listed under the company. When you find the FO, read the reviews. Some users are very specific, others use abbreviations, which can make it hard to read a review for a new soaper. "A" means accelerated. "D" means discolored (and they usually note the amount of discoloring and what it discolored too). If you find one that discolored tan or med brown, I'd say that would be one to try out the TD on and see what you get.

I agree TD only lessens the brown color. Using nonscented swirls is how I get around it.

I found that RE's Pink Sugar when using TD darkened to a tan at a little less than 1oz per lb. I forgot the TD and used 1oz pp once it it immediately turned dark brown. :sad2:

SW's PS turns CP soap a very dark brown. Smells great but it sure is ugly for such a pretty name. Maybe call it Spun Brown Sugar. I would only make it in a M&P with the vanilla stablizer so it would stay pink or light unless you find one from another company that doesn't turn. I just hate brown soap.

For SW PS - I sprinkle pink mica on the bottom of the mold and on top of the soap as soon as it's poured. It looks really good against the dark brown. I also use a fork to make a pattern on top of the soap before I sprinkle the mica.

SW PS will not take a blink swirl. Regardless of what I have done, the swirl has been taken over and eventually turned dark brown. ICS's PS does not take over the blind swirl like SW's does. But after a few months of curing, IMO, it doesn't smell as good as SW's does.