Impulse sealer improvising

Bev

I have been packaging sets of container candles in crates and then shrink wrapping them. However, I did not have an impulse sealer and found it very difficult to shrink wrap without one. Today the light bulb finally went off! I have a Seal-A-Meal in my kitchen and it suddenly dawned on me that the sealer part of this gadget (without using the vacuum) just might work to seal the shrink wrap. Needless to say, it worked PERFECTLY to seal the ends of my packaging before I shrunk it with my heat gun. I just sat thinking to myself, "Why didn't I think of this sooner?!":rolleyes2

• 4 months later...

I just got my seal-a-meal for Christmas and am loving it!! So I don't want to take any chances with damaging it in any way.

This is probably a dumb question, but since the shrink film is so much thinner than the seal-a-meal bags, did it leave any residue on the machine? I'm afraid I might have melted bag on the heating element and ruin the machine!

TIA,

Jane

I just got my seal-a-meal for Christmas and am loving it!! So I don't want to take any chances with damaging it in any way.

This is probably a dumb question, but since the shrink film is so much thinner than the seal-a-meal bags, did it leave any residue on the machine? I'm afraid I might have melted bag on the heating element and ruin the machine!

TIA,

Jane

Not a dumb question. The shrink wrap film is much thinner than the Seal-A-Meal bags. After I posted this, I have come to realize that I do indeed leave residue on my machine. Not only that, but you have to be SO careful not to seal for too long or it will scorch the shrink wrap or melt all the way through. I'm on the search now for an impulse sealer ... a REAL one designed for shrink wrap!!

Have you tried the little hand held one they have at wally's?

They are like 5 bucks, look like a large staple remover...

I use an impulse sealer, but have used my seal a meal when I broke the wire and was waiting on a new shipment. Much slower in my opinion, plus you have that large squish thing going on.

Actually, a hand-held sealer is exactly what I am looking for. Where at Wal-Mart did you find yours? I looked by the Seal-A-Meals but they didn't have them there. Am I looking in the wrong department?

I was going to give it a try this weekend. I have some "regular" shrink wrap at home and have just ordered some bags from Packco, so I thought I would experiment this weekend before the bags arrive. I'll bite the bullet and stop at Wal-Mart this afternoon (on a Friday afternoon--I try never to do that!!) and see if they have the hand-held sealer you mentioned.

Thanks for saving the life of my Seal-a-Meal!!

Jane

I think they were on a strip in the chip aisle. They are small and run on batteries. I have never used them for sealing shrink bags, just chips. :)

I have used my seal a meal before when I was desperate. It works okay, but it takes longer and you have to make sure your stuff is out of the way or it won't close enough. Mine tries to automatically suck air. Drives me crazy.

Mine does have the option to just seal without vacuuming. I know what you mean, though; the one I got my daughter last year (that cost about twice what mine did) doesn't have that option--she said she can't seal without vacuuming also.

Thanks for letting me know they're in the chip aisle--I would have been looking in office supplies! Now that you mention it, I do believe I've seen those and can't wait to try it.

Jane