How much testing do you do?

You test each container...

jar size

wax (keep notes of what temp melted to, what temp poured into container, how wax sets up and much more info to look for)

scent - measure by a scale not in volume oz's (in wax how strong is the cold throw, how it smells in solid wax, how is the hot throw, scent smell when candle is lit and much more info to look for)

wick size

color (how it mixes in the wax, does it settle as specks in the bottom of the wax, how does it look or color the wax, does it affect the burn.)

There is a lot more detailed info you need in testing, this is just some of the basics.

Here is a test sheet to go by. It is kinda of out dated to the things we use today but a good start. You can add to it as you see fit. http://www.candlecauldron.com/cdltestsheet.doc

What do you mean by batch? I test every case of wax I get, but I don't test every "batch" of candles because I pour in pretty small quantities. People who have much larger businesses may test a candle from every batch they pour.

As far as testing, you need to choose a wax and then test every FO in every jar you want to use to find the right wick. One wick size won't work for every FO, so that's why we test so much. And keeping good notes is key. I keep mine in a spreadsheet, but you can also write it down as well.

I would start with one size jar, a few FOs and one wax type. More than this can get really confusing. Once you pick your wax and test a few FOs extensively, you'll find out what series of wicks you want to use (like zinc, LX, HTP, CD, etc). Once you know what series, you can test more FOs in that same jar. And then you can move on from there. Make sense? Just take it slow and have lots of fun!!

Thanks for the input. Right now I have one wax and one glass size and started with 5 fragrances. I am goign to try a new wax because I can get one locally and not pay shipping and I will test that. I make small batches as well. I have more fragrances coming next week and am excited. I was thinking about selling them at my craft shows along with my jewelry if all goes well.

Thanks for the input. Right now I have one wax and one glass size and started with 5 fragrances.

This is a good place to start so you don't get overwhelmed with testing. Then you can add things gradually -- more scents, another glass size, etc.

I test in what I call batches. If I order a pallet of wax I test then when I order another pallet I test it. I don't test anything again in that pallet of wax, unless it is something new, like new scent, different wick etc.

I have also found that some things can change in a finished candle over a period of time. If you have candles sitting un-sold for 6 months or longer, test them and see if they perform the same as the earlier test of that batch poured. Sometime the scent will change, the throw might change or the wick burn different than when a candle from this same batch was tested. By batch here I mean candles poured all at the same time of the same scent, they can change. This testing is to check and see if the candles stay true, over a long period of time, to the first test.