Opinion Needed

Tara

How strict are those of you about your wholesale min. purchase? My min. is $200.00 for initials orders and $150 for reorders. Most don't have any problems with this set min. I just had some one place an order and pay but it is way below the min. Would you let them know what the min. is (it's stated on my site) or let it slide this one time just to make the sale? I have all of my wholesale terms on the site and in order to enter to see the wholesale products you have to go through the wholesale terms page so I am sure they saw it although they may not have read it. Please let me know what you would do.

Thanks

IMO, I would let them know that you do have a minimum and they need to meet that minimum to place the order. In a nice manner of course. I went to your wholesale page and it states it right there. If I go to order wholesale from somewhere I always abide by the minimums, I would never order below.

I would hold to your minimum, otherwise -- what's the point of having one? KWIM?

You might want to explain to them that the reason for the minimum is that it is important that they have an adequate amount of your product as an offering in their store, to make a statement to their customer. We all know the old saying, "depth of inventory drives sales". For them to have a limited number of your products doesn't make for a win-win situation for either of you. :)

Oh, forgot to say that I also allow them to place orders for UNDER the minimum if they pay the $20.00 fee, but I rarely have anyone doing that anyway (but it's nice to have in place in case you have a customer that is strapped, but still needs product)

That may be something you will want to look into Tara. Maybe by putting an extra fee in there by not meeting the minimums, it is showing you will meet them halfway.

And these companies are my biggest returning customers.

I'm sorry, they should know better then. (I don't mean to sound snarky to you - it is more the snarkiness to the customer that should know better lol)

Sometimes you just have to put your foot down - think about it...you are making a profit (more than likely 50% or so), but they are marking up to make 70, 80, even 200% more than you. Once you turn the tables, it is a little bit of a different story and I hate to be nickeled and dimed to death (and there are so many out there that do that ESPECIALLY the bigger orders!)

I would hold to your minimum, otherwise -- what's the point of having one? KWIM?

You might want to explain to them that the reason for the minimum is that it is important that they have an adequate amount of your product as an offering in their store, to make a statement to their customer. We all know the old saying, "depth of inventory drives sales". For them to have a limited number of your products doesn't make for a win-win situation for either of you. :)

Love your explanation for the min. order. Love it!!!

I'm sorry, they should know better then. (I don't mean to sound snarky to you - it is more the snarkiness to the customer that should know better lol)

Sometimes you just have to put your foot down - think about it...you are making a profit (more than likely 50% or so), but they are marking up to make 70, 80, even 200% more than you. Once you turn the tables, it is a little bit of a different story and I hate to be nickeled and dimed to death (and there are so many out there that do that ESPECIALLY the bigger orders!)

I didn't think you were being snarky. I sent an email so we will what they decide to do.

I forgot to ask you just how below the minimum are they? Glad to see that you will charge a fee if they fall below it.

The order is for $90--well below the min. but they did order one whole case of jars in one scent which makes it easier.

What if they did read it but think they want to see how they sell before purchasing a larger quantity. $200 isn't alot to ask for a min but maybe they just want to get an idea how they will sell.Who knows next order might be $500.00.Charge that fee and explain that is what I charge when a min order is not placed.They are first time customers.

I have first time customers at shows that get 3-6 candles for personal use. I am sure wholesalers want to be sure of the product and not overdo it.This way they get a idea what scents to re-order.I always check off what I sell at shows and what is still on my tables.Then know what people want.This year I am discontinuing some scents after 3 years.Just not sellers and not as strong as I like.

Last year food scents weren't big and this year people had no problem buying them.You never know.

LynnS

I have first time customers at shows that get 3-6 candles for personal use. I am sure wholesalers want to be sure of the product and not overdo it.This way they get a idea what scents to re-order.

Then they should be buying retail or you could put a wholesale sampler program in place just for these types of customers.

I'm sorry I feel very strongly about this subject (can't ya tell lol) People who wholesale know there are minimums, this is nothing new and like I said before they try nickel and diming you because you let them.

I know that if you state your policies, stick to your guns, you will end up with more customers that respect you and honor your minimums. I have had to turn away several wholesale orders because they just coudn't meet the minimums - did I feel bad? YES I sure did, because I have been there myself, but business is business and sympathy doesn't put food on your table.

If you are really worried that your mins may be too high, put a sampler pack in place for them to purchase - that way they can see what they are getting before they commit (and it also appeals to the people who don't like to buy the products retail for some reason)

I deal with a company right now that has a $500.00 minimum and I buy alot more from them than $500.00 worth and you think they let me get by? Nope - but they do have a sample program in place when I want to try something new - so I stay with 'em.

I'll echo what Jenny said.

The bottom line? Don't be afraid to treat your business as a business.

For those customers who say they want to be able to try your products, to be sure they will like them/they will sell, then offer a sampler pack. They can purchase it at retail prices, and if they end up placing a wholesale order, you can credit them the difference between the retail and wholesale price on their first order. Those who are serious will take advantage of this offer. Those that aren't..we'll..they weren't true wholesale customers in the first place.

To wanted to give an update on this. What I did was charge him the $20 under the wholesale minimum fee and he was ok with that. Aparently he has been buying from GOLD CANYON and they no longer wholesale according to him anyway. I haven't looked into this. So...if this works out on his next order he says he will be buying substantial amounts well above the minimum. I then told if that would be the case I would credit him the $20 on a future order. So only time will tell.

Gold Canyon is a "home party" type of candle supplier. He probably wasn't really buying in a true wholesale fashion at all. I think he just wanted to buy your candles at a reduced price. Does he have a store, or how does he plan on selling them? I could see a person wanting one candle to see how it burns before making an investment, but buying 5 or 6, 10 or 12 is just personal shopping in my opinion.

Actually, Gold Canyon used to wholesale candles. My sister has a very nice shop and she sells Yankee and used to carry Gold Canyon. I think they have changed their policies because she no longer carries them in the store. I also remember that she said something about that. I will have to ask her. So, I do think the customer was being honest when he said that he used to wholesale them and doesn't anymore.

Edited because I can't think and type at the same time....scary