Mold for cold process

crazycacti

I am wanting to try my first cold process soap. Have found a recipe for a 25 ounce -about 6 bars

And also about a 4 lb recipe-I think -that sound appealing

In the directions they show the soap being poured into wood looking boxes. Does anyone have a suggestion where to locate such boxes? And what size would be ideal for a 6 bar recipe-and which for a more 4 lb recipe? I do not want to start and then realize there is nowhere to pour!

And I line the inside with towel? Or wax paper?

Thanks!!

A new newbie!!!

There are lots of wooden molds for sale - those are what you mostly see. But there are other great options, especially for beginners. Many of us started with shoe box lids (or the boxes themselves, Glad containers, wooden boxes from craft stores, etc. The thing to remember is almost any wooden mold needs a lining. If it doesnt' come with one, use freezer paper.

Do you suggest a log mold or slab-one over the other? I may take the suggestion to use a shoe box or pan with parchment paper first. And explore wood options! Any suggestions help!!

I would suggest just using a box until you decide if you like making soap and what kind/size you want. Then either make your own molds (very easy to do) or buy them. Use freezer paper, shiny side out. What you need to do is once you find a box measure the inside, w x l x height you want. Multiply that x.04 to get the amount of OILS that you will need (not oils and lye together). Then run that thru a lye calculator so you will know how much lye and water to use. Have you read the miller site yet? I read and researched for about 6 months before making my first CP

Yea Kimber, I think you have the TOG style #1, which has one log. My mold now has 2 logs and the slab setup. It is anout an inch wider that the first ones I sold that had only 1 log per mold. Always improving, thanks to you guys! :highfive: I can't see your pic. I want to see your mold and soap!

Oh, the new mold holds two logs, each one is 3 pounds of soap. The slab can be single, 9 bars, 3-1/2 pounds, or doubled to make a 7 pound slab!

DSCF0509.jpg

DSCF0504.jpg

DSCF0509.jpg

Well I think you should keep all styles instead of discontinuing them........I like the new style tho. And YES to you who interested....they are very nice molds. The liner peels right off the soap and I just swished it in the sink and washed it off...ready for the next batch!

Kymber, that soap looks amazing.

And the mold is really nifty.

Why Thank You! Like I said...it turned dark but it was an experiment and next time I will know NOT to stick blend after adding the dried cranberries. We sill stir them in at the end and hopefully then it won't turn a cranberry color. I wanted it to be tan with the specks of cranberry in it. Oh well..will try again!