Wick Suggestion Please

I got my first peaks order and LOVE all the oils I have gotten so far - my bonus oil was cinnamon and boy is it strong!!! They all seem to have awesome throw though! I am making chunk votives and some 8oz jelly jars - stricly for myself; I do not sale my candles. For my jars I am using J50 wax and my current wick is 44-24-18Z - I am get that mushroom effect when it is burning. I am going to reorder some wicks this week and was looking for suggestions for a new wick size that may not mushroom. I don't know why I care, they are just for me...but my wonderful husband always says how nice the candle smells but the wick sure looks funky! :laugh2: Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

Melody

Unfortunately, zincs mushroom. :undecided You could try the HTP's as well, as they tend to mushroom a little less. Most people will just deal with the mushrooming of the zincs, though, and look at it as a reminder to trim the wick. :wink2:

I agree with Melody on the mushrooming. I give out a safety sheet with each candle order and I tell them that the mushroom is a "friendly" reminder to trim the wick. In the 8 years I've been candlemaking, I've only had one person mentioned that they didn't like the look of the mushroom. I tried other wicks with J50 and kept going back to zinc. I just get a more consistent burn with them. The whole mushroom issue seems to bother candlemakers more than the customers. Good luck!

Trae

Blah, I hate mushrooms.

This'll probably be an unpopular view around here, but I suspect the market is gradually moving away from metal cored wicks in general and not just lead. Having all-fiber wicks is has already become a plus for writing marketing copy. Maybe this is as good a time as any to start exploring the alternatives.

Mind you, I'm not saying the zinc cores are bad or dangerous, but there are zillions of alternatives and mushrooms suck and people seem to like to hear that there's no metal in your wicks.

(Ducking the tomatoes now.)

Splat!!!!! Just kidding. I could not live with the mushrooms myself. I like cotton, paper and my absolute favorites are LX for most purposes. I love mushrooms on my plate, but not on my candles LOL. On the metal thing, folks are stupid and still confuse zinc with lead.

e

Blah, I hate mushrooms.

people seem to like to hear that there's no metal in your wicks.

(Ducking the tomatoes now.)

I've tried nearly every wick imaginable, and I always come back to the zinc. I just don't get as good a burn in my wax with any other wick. I continue to test other types of wicks as I learn about them, but I ALWAYS come back to the zinc. They aren't harmful, nor is the mushroom, and I would rather have an awesome burn and put up with a bit of a mushroom. JMHO

On the metal thing, folks are stupid and still confuse zinc with lead.
I know you're right about that, but I think even the people who aren't stupid might feel in their heart of hearts that there are better things to do than incinerate metal and put it into the air. Plus wherever you have one metal you have others as impurities, including lead. Granted, those amounts are pretty negligible.

Even in my own heart of hearts, I think there are better ideas than burning metal in candles. If I were just a fairly intelligent consumer with no concept of mushrooms except as a fungus, I'd probably lean towards buying candles with all-fiber wicks if I were conscious of the choice. Even before I knew about making candles I noticed those metal cores and thought it was odd.

I use zinc core on most of my candles, container or pillars and if I keep the wick trimmed I don't get any mushrooms. I also have a little sheet I put in with every order about keeping the wicks trimmed (along with the caution lable that are on all my candles.) so you don't get the mushroom effect. JMO

Thanks for all the information. I'm getting a really good burn and scent throw so I think I'll just deal with the mushrooms! I'll just reorder the same wicks I am using now. If I ever get to point where I wanted to sale I'll do testing with the other wicks but since it's just me - I'll stick with what works! Thanks for all the input!!

Melody