Types of LYE need help: pellets or flakes, lab grade?

Ilona

Hi,

I need to order some Sodium hydroxide and plan to get some from a chemical supply. Thing is they have Lab grade, reagent grade and pellet form and flake form. All are pure SH so which do you think is better? Any difference on these? I would like to use them for HP soap.

Thanks

Ilona

Did you ask them what the difference is between the different grades? I dont think there is a difference between the pellets or the flakes, but not sure. I order a case from the same place and my most recent order the pellets were grey which I'm finding is discoloring my soap a little (makes the lye water grey).

I get mine from a chemical supply place here. I get the lab grade. They did explain to me what the difference was when I first started going there, but that was 3 years ago, and I have forgotten since... I know I liked the sound of the lab grade the best so that's what I get. Also, mine are in pellet form.

HTH if even just a little.. :)

I bought SH about a year ago and they gave me offshore stuff - made in China - and my water was dirty brown/grey and full of debris. Since then, I make sure I'm buying SH made in the US.

And I prefer the pellets, too. I think they're easier to handle than the flakes.

Yes! That seems to be my problem... its full of hard black "rocks" and all the pellets are grey...hmm..I'm just ordering it from my local hardware store by the case - time to try somewhere else.

Try browsing your yellow pages and find "Chemical Suppliers". They'll probably require copies of your DBA papers or a company check to confirm that you aren't making meth. :rolleyes2 Oxychem is a US manufacturer and I use their lye exclusively now. Your local chemical company will most likely carry Oxychem products.

Good luck!