Starting A New

jody51

I would be wary of refills because the crock might have gotten overly hot during a previous burn, which might compromise the integrity of the crock. It could then crack on a subsequent burn.

Plus it might come back to you in bad shape if the person didn't keep the wick trimmed or burned the candle in a draft -- the crock could be covered with soot. Whose responsibility would it be to clean out the old wax and soot, for example? Just too many thorns in that situation for my taste. :)

HTH

I had this brought up to me at a festival.It was a HINT.The lady checked out my candles and then said My candlemaker used to do refills for me but she went out of business.She told me she would pour $70.00 at one time for me in refills.I just didn't answer.Kinda Oh and sigh.

This is something early on I decided not to do.If I drop a cande I keep it.I would have no idea what the customer did to the jar.I sometimes wonder if these are other candlemakers or friends.The reason I say this because also the using soy wax for hand lotion WHILE HOT was brought to my attention.A teen said it and her mother backed her on how wonderful it was.I just said some FO's are not skin safe and I would be afraid and I do not recommend it.

Those were 2 of my festival experiences and has happened before about the soy safe candle wax for skin.

LynnS

How long would it take for you to refill it? Would it be on the spot, or would the customer turn it in and pick it up three days later? I don't think most people would be interested in having to making more than one trip to get a container refilled. If you fill it on the spot, then you would have to wait for it to cool and keep the customer waiting. What if you pour it and your wick isn't centered properly, or for whatever reason, something funky happens to your wax.

I personally don't see any benefit of offering refills. I believe most of the expense for a candle is in the container, and I can't see providing refills as a profitable option.

I only do tins, so I refill all the time for my customers (not many do this, just my mom's friends for some odd reason - they hate to waste anything lol).

I have to agree with everyone else about glass though. You don't know what they did to that container - it could have a hairline crack in it that you can't see until it's too late.

I know I've personally taken glass out of my dishwasher, put it away, poured a glass of milk and drank the whole glass before I've seen chips and cracks in my glassware.

Just think of it that way and you are to blame even though it wouldn't truly be your fault. Ask your insurance company what they think too about it.