1st time soaping

cas

OK, gel is caused by the heat of saponification, and this heat in turn increases the rate of saponification. If you don't gel, the saponification takes longer.

You don't really need to gel; some soapers actually prefer not to let their soaps gel for a variety of reasons (color, texture, maybe effect on FO/EO).

Problem with that is that it can be hard to prevent it and you could end up with a partial gel anyway! And that can make your soap look a bit odd (but it'll still be fine soap!).

Congrats Chris! Normally, I'd tell you to check here http://scentreviewboard.obisoap.ca/index.php

before you soap. Scented has been taking care to post her results. If you add CP results to your site, it will be tremendously helpful! BTW, acceleration is moving too fast, seize is turning into cheescake, ricing is looking like vomit. Sounds like you had a seizer. As mentioned, florals do this.

FO's that don't work well for CP are fine for HP. Since the fragrance is not added until after the cook, the lye has been incorporated and can't act as adversely with the FO.

Happy soaping!

Congratulations on the plunge into the crazy, fun soaping world. It just gets better and better. I have not been able to yet talk myself into trying a floral but when I do I am going to try using room temp lye and oils. I have read on this board that it works better for known seizers. I know that your next batch will be great.

Congratulations on the plunge into the crazy, fun soaping world. It just gets better and better. I have not been able to yet talk myself into trying a floral but when I do I am going to try using room temp lye and oils. I have read on this board that it works better for known seizers. I know that your next batch will be great.

I soap everything on the cool side just because of that, especially since I'm working with FOs that haven't necessarily been tested by others.

When I get the juniper I will try it in a small batch and see what happens to me. It might be a night for sailor talk though.