Hi, newbie with a question about soy tarts

Hi,

I have been lurking on this board for a while reading all the posts and learning lots of helpful info. I hope someone might be able to help me out with LP 402 soy wax. Has anyone ever used this wax and had good results? I have been making candles and tarts for sometime now using IGI 4786 with good results. I recently decided to try my hand at soy. I have made a few candles with the LP 402 with so-so results. I'm still testing, but I really wanted to try to make the soy tarts. I have had absolutely no luck! They all turn out really crumbly and fall apart. Most of the time I cannot even get them out of the mold without them cracking all to pieces. I have tried adding stearic acid and even that didn't help. Does anyone have any advice? TIA :cheesy2:

Heather

Hi Heather,

I'm not familiar with that soy wax, but I make "tarts" or melts with my ADM container soy wax. First of all, I use a mini muffin tin as a mold, and I pre-coat it with vegetable oil. I've heard the scalloped tart molds don't work as well with soy, because the edges break off too easily. The other thing I do is add some soy pillar wax to my container wax - 5 parts container soy to 1 part pillar soy. This makes the melts less soft and easier to remove from the mold. Straight container soy is a little too soft for melts.

HTH

-Margie

Hi Heather,

I saw on someone's website where they actually sell crumblies in a nice little cello bag! That could be something that you can use instead of throwing it away if it has a great throw but just doesn't come out of the mold right. I thought that was a neat idea to tarts. You can still make the tarts and sell those as well but it was just an idea about the wax that you are throwing away :o)!

I am a newbie too and this forum is the best that I have been on so far! It has a bunch of information and everyone is sooo helpful. HTH!!

Veronica

I am not familiar with that particular wax but I use Ecosoya votive blend with good results. The tarts pop right out of the mold, even scalloped molds. For me, container wax has been too soft to use in the tart molds ... too difficult to remove from the molds. Is your wax container wax or votive wax?

Hi,

Thanks so much for the info. The LP 402 wax is a container wax. The supplier I bought this wax from basically has no info about using the wax or any tips. It is the only soy wax that they carry. The company is in my state so shipping charges were not outrageous. :wink2: I thought if I added stearic acid to the wax it might harden enough not to crumble, but that didn't quite work out. Veronica, I like the tip on the crumblies! I would have never thought about that. I am so glad I found this board!!! It has lots of great info. Especially since I'm new to soy wax, it has been very helpful. Oh, one more quick question, does anyone add beeswax to their tarts? Wondering if this might help? I guess I may just have to try pillar or votive wax for my tarts. :D

Yes, you will need a votive or pillar wax for them, the container blend will be too soft. You can add beeswax, but to get enough in it to make it firm enough to pop out of tarts, but you would probably have the same results. Soy with too much beeswax in it tends to crack as well.

Heather, you can use that wax but you need to add a pillar soy or bees wax to harden it & get it out of a mold. But if you want to stick with that wax pour into the cup cake papers. That way you don't have to remove the paper until it is ready to b melted. This is a low melt point wax and is not the best for tarts.

I only use 3 or 4% of beeswax in my soy. Anymore than about 5 or 6% may cause cracking in your wax. Pillar or votive wax is much better suited for tarts or anything that needs to be in a mold. Be sure and post your results, I am curious as to how they look in the cupcake papers, that is an interesting idea.

Hi,

Here is a picture of some tarts I made using Sharon's advice of 2oz beeswax to 1lb LP 402 soy wax. They came out of the mold so easily and didn't crack or break apart at all. I will post my results using the cupcake liners soon. Everyone here has been sick, so that's how I came up with the idea to test with the vicks, hopefully it will help our colds! :) I hope it's ok to post my picture in this thread. Thank again for the advice Sharon! :)

post-895-13945837961_thumb.jpg