How do you get the sale?

Accents

I have my first fall craft show coming up this Sunday. I've done two others in spring, and there weren't very many people attending, so I didn't sell much. I really want to do well at this and wondered if you have any tips for selling candles to people walking by a craft booth. My husband is in sales, and his strategies just put me off. He's suggesting things I consider pushy. If I bought from someone with his techniques, I don't think I'd buy more. One time he even suggested I get a cow bell or something to get attention! :confused:

What have you found to work for you? TIA!!!

First and foremost, have an attractive booth space that will get the customers' attention and draw them in. Once they are in your space, engage in conversation. I usually begin with a big smile and a "Good morning" or "Hello." Then I ask if they are familiar with soy wax candles (the product I sell). Ask them what their favorite fragrance is. If you have it, show them what sizes you have. If you don't, steer them towards something similar that you think they may like. I think being friendly, but not overly pushy, helps with the sales. Nothing worse than walking into a booth and being greeted by a dead fish!!!

I like Bev's suggestions. You have to get them in the booth first. If people are just strolling by, I tell them " Come on in. Sniffs are free." You could also comment about someone's hair, shirt, purse - Oh, I just love that!...Once you have their attention (without the cow bell) start talking.

Yes ask them questions..it gets conversation going.

I also have jars of coffee beans sitting around that say SNIFF ME! and then a reason why..to cleanse their palet when smelling to many candles..

that seems to attract them and then they even start asking questions. :wink2:

I let them know we have a website..give them a magnet or price/product sheet. Let them know they can order online and pickup at the booth ..offer for them to try b&b stuff out with our testers when they are looking at b&b stuff..etc etc.

I dislike pushy salespeople too - hate that "trapped" feeling. I've even backed off on giving free samples out to passers by, after seeing the effects of that from neighboring booths.

If they're just walking by without any hesitation, I just catch their eye and smile, say good morning or whatever. If they do stop in, I usually just preface it with "I make everything here, so if you have any questions, please let me know" and then back off a bit.

Eventually you can tell which people want to talk, and which just want to browse. If they're browsers, I give them a bit of time, and if I see an opening, I'll give a little product talk on ingredients or favorite scents, or if they pick something up "yes, that's one of my favorites... blah blah" .

And as they're leaving, I'll offer them a free sample with a "thanks for stopping by".

Thanks, ladies. That all sounds very do-able and not pushy. I like the idea of complimenting someone, sounds like a good conversation starter. I do set out coffee sachets with a note of explanation. Sometimes I think people just like smelling the coffee!

All of the above plus we have had great success with picking one of our best scents and standing outside the booth and asking people "Would you like to smell our Baked Apple?" Works even better if you have a cute little child who is big enough to handle the job.:D I swear my smallest daughter has brought in a ton of buyers. They love her off beat explanations of the products. Only time it didn't go too well was when she told the customer my bath bombs would eat their fingernails off. LOL. She was refering to the fizzing action when she puts her fingers in the tub with one. Kids!!

Glo

We dont do this at every show..only trade shows(Home & Garden, Womens Ect..where people are there to look and not necessarily buy)

We put out a small candle with a sign that says Guess My Scent..I'm Yours!

People LOVE this...and most of the time they cant get it..they come back time and again..bring friends ect Put out more complex scents...but ones with names you can guess. Hot Fudge Brownie, Choc Covered Cherries, buttermilk pancakes were all good ones!

It was a pretty slow show..only a few leads until we did this..we tripled our cash & carry sales and got several wholesale and home party leads.

We dont do this at every show..only trade shows(Home & Garden, Womens Ect..where people are there to look and not necessarily buy)

We put out a small candle with a sign that says Guess My Scent..I'm Yours!

People LOVE this...and most of the time they cant get it..they come back time and again..bring friends ect Put out more complex scents...but ones with names you can guess. Hot Fudge Brownie, Choc Covered Cherries, buttermilk pancakes were all good ones!

It was a pretty slow show..only a few leads until we did this..we tripled our cash & carry sales and got several wholesale and home party leads.

Sounds like a good idea, Monica!

We try to engage those who stop by in a conversation, ask them if they prefer the food scents or floral scents, and go from there. We also light about 3 candles and one of them is sure to draw someone in, asking, "What's that I smell?"