B&B makers. I really need your honest opinions & help

sandyrose

I'm asking this as a newbie in the process of deciding who my suppliers will be.. my cost.. prices.. etc. (OVERWHELMING!)

In your opinion is it worth it to keep cost down to make my lotions from scratch??? (I'm a pretty good cook so I think I could do it eventually with practice) or just buy my bases and maybe tweak them a bit by adding a bit of my own oils (with the suppliers input and expertise of course)

I've been crunching numbers obsessively for two weeks now. EVEN in my sleep!:( When we start talking grams I can not figure out the cost per item fo the life of me! I just don't know what to do.

So from scratch? or bases?.... give it to me straight ladies.. I totally respect your opinions!

THANKS!

I'm going to jump in here and say first of all if your buying your base, IF you add additional oils, butters, whatever... it's going to screw up the preservative that is already in the base. I started with a lotion base but I was never satisfied with the end product so I make my own. Of course now I hear all kinds of raves for several bases available like Bittercreeks, & Kentucky Candle, for instance. I personally haven't tried them. IF your just starting into this you may want to just try out some sample size bases and then go from there. Someone else may want to jump in here???

Beverly

Okay... I'm listening... I've heard that before here and I'm taking that seriuosly.

It's just that I want to promote Soy lotions with Shea. I think it will go over big in my particular area. so I'm specific about those ingredients. I found a great base with those ingredients (so I wouldn't have to mess up the preservitive by messing with it) but I still wonder if I should do it from scratch to save money? I just can't figure out if it's worth it.

Personally, commercially produced lotions don't hold a candle (for me and my dry skin) to a good handmade product. Having said that, however, be aware that making your own lotion from scratch is a very time-consuming and, in some people's opinions, a tedious process. To do it correctly, there's a lot of sanitization going on. Not to mention heating and holding your temps on both your water and oil phases. It's do-able if you're a good cook, but be aware that you have to be pretty precise and detailed to do it well! :)

Not trying to discourage you; I make my own lotion from scratch and my dry skin ADORES it. Plus I know what I'm putting on my skin, most of which is ingredients I know and can pronounce. :laugh2: But I just wanted to give you a heads up so you can make an informed decision. I have a love-hate relationship with making my own lotion. Love the end result; hate the process of getting there. :laugh2:

Since you are new at this, I'm assuming you have not made lotion from scratch yet. In my opinion, I would not attempt to sell any handmade beauty product from scratch until I KNEW completely that what I was making was 100% safe to use and free from bacteria. Are you including the cost of lab testing and liability insurance in the numbers you're crunching?

If you're wanting to create something from scratch and don't already have a recipe to go by, you can go through a lot of expensive ingredients trying to perfect your recipe.

So, I guess it depends on how you look at it as to how expensive something is. There are some base concentrates that can save you money compared to buying full jugs of a lotion base. Have you considered that?

TESTING? :faintingsmiley: Oh no. I forgot about that. That does not sound fun.

Yes, I'd have my lotion plated and have a count done if I were going to sell on a wide-scale basis. I haven't done that step, and I don't have time to make large quantities anyway. (My candles and soaps keep me busy enough. LOL) Which is precisely why I don't sell to anyone but trusted family and friends -- mine has not been tested in a lab. :) I just got my directions and developed my recipe after careful research and getting information/recipes from trusted sources. But it's not had an APC test done. :)

Concentrates? Do you mean like what KB sells? Is that where you just add Deionized (whatever that is?) water? I thought I saw on thier website that you could add your own oils? That part is so confusing because like you all say.. if you add anythig of your own.. you've messed up the preservitive. I am taking this very serioulsy as I do not want to make and sell a product that I'm not 100% sure of it's safety.

And no.. I did not consder the cost of testing or the cost of perfecting my recipe. I'm glad I brought up this question and found this forum!!

Many places sell a "multi-base" concentrate, and I'm sure most of the time it comes from the same Canadian manufacturer.. Here's one example that gives plenty of details on how it can be used:

http://www.goplanetearth.com/bases_multibase_lotion.html

Another supplier that usually has good prices is buywax.com. You might want to check there too.

I forgot to add...Some people have reported having problems with mold when using concentrates. Who knows why--perhaps the work area wasn't sterile, perhaps the container was contaminated, etc. I'm just alerting you to potential causes for concern. Other people use bases and have no problems. If you want you could probably look through the archives or search for posts regarding using a multi-base. (Sometimes using the regular base can be the cheapest way to go when all things are considered.)

I know what you are saying about the cost.. I have gone to bases because of this ..it is just easier for me to test ones that I have to worry more about the dye/fo than the actual base itself..that being said you also have to WATCH your bases carefully for change..age..keep stored properly or you could grow mold..ASK ME HOW I KNOW? :tongue2:

There are several bases I have used...keystones, millcreeks and WSP ...all very pretty nice..I have to say I there are sooo many options out there..just buy a sample size or two and try them out. ..but if you prefer to go the handmade route..you could always try one from here(in the recipe section) and then perfect it to your preference.

It is definately not a cheap hobby or business..but boy is it fun.:D

Adding FO and Dye to a base should not mess up the preservative unless you go over what is recommended..keep that in mind..unless you had planned to add a bunch of other stuff to it then you should talk to the supplier and get their advise..they may be able to give you alot better info since it is their product.:wink2: