Shaving Soap

ladysj

I found this recipe on a site while searching for general recipes. I know alot of you were wanting a shaving soap so I thought I'd post this. Maybe it will be a good one

Shaving Soap:

• 40% Olive oil - stable lather and good skin conditioning
  • 30% Coconut oil - rich, bubbly lather
  • 22% Palm oil - stable, creamy, hard bar (can substitute lard or tallow)
  • 8% Castor oil - for lather and creaminess

For my 3 lb. batch of soap, this works out to be:

• 13 oz. Olive oil
  • 10 oz. Coconut oil
  • 7 oz. Palm oil
  • 2.5 oz. Castor oil
  • 4.7 oz. Lye (about a 5% discount)
  • 9.4 oz. water
  • 2 Tbs. of Bentonite Clay
  • 1 to 1.4 oz. of fragrance or essential oil

Make the soap like you would any other Cold Process Soap recipe. You can add the clay pretty much any time you want in the recipe. Some people add it to their lye water. Others just mix it into the oils as they are melting. You can also take a half cup or so of your melted oils, put them in a measuring cup, a mix your clay into the oils. Then add this pre-mixed clay/oil mixture to the soap once you've reached trace. Any method works fine.

I like to pour the soap directly into coffee mugs or tins. Another option is to pour it into lengths of 3" PVC pipe that has one end plugged up. This will give you a disc of soap that can be placed into a mug or tin. Let the soap cure as normal, and when it's done, enjoy a wonderfully old-fashioned but terrific shaving soap!

• 3 weeks later...