Mottling vs Rustic: Newbie Question (Oh no!)

Hi all,

This is my first post to this fantastic forum. OK, I've read through the newbie FAQ, did a forum search and still cannot find a suitable answer. (I do plan to go through all of the threads as well. But in order to same time...)

I am wondering what is the difference between mottled and rustic candles. To me, visually they look the same. I want to purchase wax and I don't know if I should bother to buy mottling wax if I can achieve the same look by simply following the instructions for a rustic/cold pour candle.

What am I missing???

Thanx in advance for your help.

EmpressC

Welcome to this wonderful source of information!

I just wanted to clarify that Mottled and Rustic have 2 totally different looks. The rustic (cold pour) has a 'rough' texture and mottled are typically smooth with splotches/star bursts....almost like the oil didn't mix with the wax and created a different look.

Typically, mottled candles are poured at a higher temp then rustic.

If you go through the gallery, you should be able to see a difference. I"m sure someone else will chime in and give more information.

HTH - welcome!

Thanx for the quick response! One more question, can I achieve the rustic look with the paraffin pre-blend? Specifically, I want to use IGI-4625. Thanx.

You can not get a mottle look with a paraffin blend, because it has additives.

If you would rather only have to buy one wax to acheive both looks I would suggest straight pillar paraffin IGI 1343. The only extra you wold need with this wax would be Vybar 103 and Stearic Acid or Vybar 343

Thanx everybody for your tips and advice. I think I want to stick with rustic. I like that look the best. I made my first 2 candles. They turned out ok, but I do hope to get better with time. I'll try to post them in the gallery.

And you should get the UV regardless. Always get in the habit of adding it or your colors are going to fade, sometimes right in front of your eyes.

Any ideas where I might find this? I looked on peakcandle.com and didn't find it.