Conflicting recommendations

Henryk

Well, I was going to place my order for gel just now, but I'm seeing conflicting things on the densities.

I was just going to first do glitter. Then after I was comfortable, I was going to try suspending candy corns and mini pumpkins that I have left over. Hence my question:

At http://www.gelcandlemaking.com/section1.html it says "The CHP is the thickest gel and will hold the heaviest scent load. It is also the one you need if you plan to use any suspended embeds (such as glass fish, glitter, etc.)."

At http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2957 it says "Versagel® C MP: Medium density-used in plain gel candle but can also suspend lite to medium weight objects."

So, why the difference? (I was just going to get the medium).

TIA

As I said in another thread, I bought both because the suspended embeds were making me crazy. I thought that there must be a big difference and that the high would make it easier. I found only the tiniest bit of difference. However, there wasn't much difference in price, so I started using the high because it would hold more fragrance.

I do still use a lot of medium with my scented embeds in preserve candles. But, for the undersea scenes, etc. with suspended fish, etc., I use the high if I have it.

If I am just adding wax embeds I use medium I will also use medium for pies and plain gel candles.

Now I have been known to suspend some pretty heavy stuff and Medium just doesn't cut it over time I can get them suspend in medium but over time they will sink where they stay suspending longer in high.

As far as FO load even Penreco is now recommending they same FO loads for both HP and MP.

Truthfully Henry most people never need the HP. Now I do weird things like sticking a flying horse on a cloud so yea I need it. I do have several candle sitting here now that I made over 2 years ago with suspended glass fish that have never sunk all made with MP gel wax.

i use mainly mp. the only time i used hp was when i was shipping some "fish tank" candles in summer.

the method you use to suspend embeds can also play a part in how long the embeds "float" and also where the candle is placed after it is made...i.e, if it is put in a sunny window, the embeds will sink over time.

i would suggest you start with mp.

hth,

cheryl