Gold and Silver Wax

Hi everyone. I mainly make pillar candles and love the bought ones you see with gold and or silver wax layers. However i've never found any decent gold or silver wax dyes anywhere. I did buy some silver candle wax, but it was really thick when it melted and the candle didnt burn. I tried adding it to some ordinary paraffin wax and it does burn better, but has lost the nice metallically look.

Anyway i was wandering if any of you know of anything to use to get wax to look nice and gold and silver, like proper metallically, or if i'll just have to resign to painting it on/ overdipping

Thanks

:undecided

Gold & Silver metallic spray paint will work, I use it for both pillars & tapers.

Here are 2 brands that will work...

Plasti-Kote Metallics

Krylon 18KT. Gold Plate I'm not sure what the silver of this brand is called.

These spray paints contain metallic flakes so you need to shake the can often when spraying.

I've tried the spray paints with lots of success.

Plain pillars looked gorgeous when I wrapped fancy lace around them & sprayed over it like a stencil then took the lace off.

I've also tried gold wax but it was a complete waste of time & money & it smelled disgusting, I wouldn't even use it mixed with scrap for my firestarters.

Sally.

Thanks, that spray paint idea sounds good, especially with the lace! Maybe the gold wax u got was similar to the stuff i got, that smelt horrid too and gave off these awful fumes, but wasn't as bad when i mixed a v small quantity w plain wax. Maybe the gold/silver wax u see in these bought candles is only paint too, will have to buy one and try and see what colour it is in the middle!

LOL!!!

Thanks

:)

Question: Can you actually burn these candles that are painted? Or are they simply for decorative purposes?

You can only get the paint to stick on un-scented wax, scented wax has to much oil for the paint to stick.

Yes you can burn them, I have tested them and they burned just fine.

The paint does not catch fire once it is dry.

You can only get the paint to stick on un-scented wax, scented wax has to much oil for the paint to stick.

Yes you can burn them, I have tested them and they burned just fine.

The paint does not catch fire once it is dry.

Thanks Candle Man. :)