Making a slab mold

elitenaildesign

Got to thinking I would love to buy a slab mold, but they are so expensive, so why could my husband not just make one for me? Heres my problem. How the heck would I figure the dimentions for a 4-5lb mold. My luck he would build one for 20lbs. Now to those that want to blast me for not figuring it out on my own, I thought maybe someone would want to be nice and share any tips for making one or lead me to where I can get help for making one.

Thanks, Jen

My DH made my slab molds 14" x 10" x 2"

The recipe I use is for 4lbs. of oils which gives me 16 bars (3.5"x2.5"x1+") each. I think they weigh an average of 4oz. or so per bar.This does not fill the mold to capicity but gives me the size bar that I prefer. HTH

You can also use the length x width x height x .4 = (amount of oils needed to fill the mold)

The recipe I use is for 4lbs. of oils which gives me 16 bars (3.5"x2.5"x1+") each. I think they weigh an average of 4oz. or so per bar.This does not fill the mold to capicity but gives me the size bar that I prefer. HTH

You can also use the length x width x height x .4 = (amount of oils needed to fill the mold)

Perfect! Thank You!!!:smiley2:

Jen you and I must be on the same wave length, I came here to ask the same question. I have been looking for about an hour and all I can find is the size of larger ones. I really wanted a 3lb one but I will be happy with a 4 lber. Ok Now I have a question about the mold measurments. Is that the inside measurments or the inside of the mold.

Jen you and I must be on the same wave length, I came here to ask the same question. I have been looking for about an hour and all I can find is the size of larger ones. I really wanted a 3lb one but I will be happy with a 4 lber. Ok Now I have a question about the mold measurments. Is that the inside measurments or the inside of the mold.

Inside measurements! That's the size the soap slab will be. :D

What a lovely DH you have!!! I've only just begun soaping, but I already want a slab mold, so thank you for the measurements.

Lisa

Oh, cool! Now, does anyone know how to line with silicone?

If I used silicone, I'd have to lift out the slab, take it out, remove the liner, then put it back in to utilize the cutting slits. The paper is easy to line with and you cut right through it, while the soap is still in the slab. As for the size, decide the bar size, then go from there. Let's say you want 15 bars of 3 x 2. That's 5 2" rows (10") x 3 3" rows (9") (Interior). Use the length x width x height X .4 to get the volume needed for the mold. Here's mine, excuse the spam soap, LOL.

mold.jpg