Yikes, is this true about candles made in tins...

I was speaking with a supplier today and he told me that candles made in tins can catch fire easier than glass, and it is very unsafe to make candles in tins. I was shocked, as I have never had this happen or heard of it, what do ya'll think about this??

He told me to take out some heavy insurance if I am making tins-----I don't know what to think

I was speaking with a supplier today and he told me that candles made in tins can catch fire easier than glass, and it is very unsafe to make candles in tins. I was shocked, as I have never had this happen or heard of it, what do ya'll think about this??

He told me to take out some heavy insurance if I am making tins-----I don't know what to think

I would rack it up to one man's opinion.

IMHO, a properly made candle is just as safe in a tin as a glass container.

This was the first I ever heard of this, I thought it was weird. I have been making tins for 4 yrs, and never an issue. Just wanted to check and see if anyone else has ever heard this from someone?

No..I never heard it until you mentioned it today. I've been making tins for over 5 years, and never had a problem.

This wasn't by chance, a glass supplier who shared this tidbit, was it? LOL

No a fragrance oil supplier---BUT he also sells glass, so I guess he could be partial. He told me he 'hears' stories from customers about their tins igniting and becoming an exploding torch. He doesn't seem like he would lie, but like I told him, who knows what was going on for the candle to blow up...could have been a complete dolt making them for all we know.

I would think tin would catch fire before glass but of course I have never seen either catch on fire :D Best example I can give is a camp fire. Those beer cans actuallly burn, while the beer bottles are untouched :laugh2: Glass can break when not wicked properly and I would think the tin probably gets hotter but it's the FO that actually ignites. Tin is going to heat faster then glass side by side and probably omits more heat when it becomes hot. I think it would take a lot to cause a problem though. Where talking tornado wicking & burning for endless hours.

This man is out of his rock pickin' mind. :laugh2:

Any candle can catch fire. You never know what the end user is doing, or their kids! This is why I feel so strongly about people selling without insurance. You really never know what is going on with your product after the sale. Any type of container, at any given time can be a fire hazard in the wrong hands.

Sounds like since the cheapest supplier of tins is now defunct, he want's to lure his customers into purchasing glass. So he can discontinue the tins, IMO. Talk about shady, LMAO!!

YES, tins can catch fire. After having 3 incidents with my tins being burned all day & catching fire, I did a lot of testing. I got 1 to ignite. Tins and glass must be burned properly. Glass can shatter and catch fire, tins just catch fire. This has been discussed several times on this board. It happens when the candle is not being burned properly. I still make tins and love them, but have very serious warnings on the bottom label. I still think tins are safer than glass. Carole

Thanks for the replies---

I have been making candles for years now, and never had a problem --knock on wood--- so I guess, no need to borrow trouble. Glad to hear all the different angles on the tins, didn't know this had been discussed before:undecided

My tins really do burn nice and cool, even power burned. After reading this I am glad I have always been insured!

I am going to search for it now----

Think about it, if tin is so bad then why does big companies make citronella candles in tin pails?

Why does Yankee, Gold Canyon and others make tin candles.

I think if caution isn't taken like ANYTHING IN LIFE, you can and most probably will be in trouble.

I also think people that use tins with seams have more potential to have problems... although the makers of OFF makes a citronella pail that is not seamless and their seam is not sealed.

JMO

No a fragrance oil supplier---BUT he also sells glass, so I guess he could be partial. He told me he 'hears' stories from customers about their tins igniting and becoming an exploding torch. He doesn't seem like he would lie, but like I told him, who knows what was going on for the candle to blow up...could have been a complete dolt making them for all we know.

I don't make tins but if a person left the tin burning on the Sunday Times, yeah, that would be a fire! Tins should alway be placed on something like a ceramic coaster. That's what I would advise all customers to due and it would be in my warning label too. JMO

Fire:wave: