Luminary Candles

I am new to the craft and have been enjoying every moment. I am going to craft shows and have my candles in some local stores and have met lots of wonderful people who are very supportive of local crafters.

I have a few questions to you experts out there.

What is the best way to level the top of these candles, so that they look even and natural all the way around?

Any suggestions for keeping your embeds in place, keeping them from dropping or floating to the tops?

Thanks you

Andilwood

Not sure what your question is. Are you trying to keep embedded objects in place in the wall of your hurricane? Are you using a hurricane insert? That will help hold larger embeds in place. For smaller or lighter embeds you could use chunks of wax. HTH

The easiest way to even out the tops is to place a cookie sheet over boiling water (your double boiler--if you use one), then carefully place the hurricane top down onto the sheet and lightly press or swirl to even them out.

If you don't use a double boiler you can use your presto pot if its empty of wax. I'd put down a paper towel or two to soak up the excess wax.

If you want you can use a level to make sure that the tops are even, but I have found that if you swirl the hurricane it levels out automatically.

To keep embeds from floating, pour in stages or layers. Don't let the tops of the previous layer completely cool before pouring the next though or you might have lines. The top of the lower layer should be set but not firm.

HTH

Not sure what your question is. Are you trying to keep embedded objects in place in the wall of your hurricane? Are you using a hurricane insert? That will help hold larger embeds in place. For smaller or lighter embeds you could use chunks of wax. HTH

Thank you for your response.

My question is I put lots of embeds in walls and some stay put but a few will float or sink after I make my pour-yes I use insert -

When you say use chunks of wax - do you mean embed the embeds in the chunks before I pour?

Thanks

The easiest way to even out the tops is to place a cookie sheet over boiling water (your double boiler--if you use one), then carefully place the hurricane top down onto the sheet and lightly press or swirl to even them out.

If you don't use a double boiler you can use your presto pot if its empty of wax. I'd put down a paper towel or two to soak up the excess wax.

If you want you can use a level to make sure that the tops are even, but I have found that if you swirl the hurricane it levels out automatically.

To keep embeds from floating, pour in stages or layers. Don't let the tops of the previous layer completely cool before pouring the next though or you might have lines. The top of the lower layer should be set but not firm.

HTH

I think I will try the double boiler - I used a hot plate and a cookie sheet -did not like result. Thanks so much

I will also try to do the pour in layers - I will let you know how that turns out I was under impression I had to one pour to keep my wall smooth and shiny and intact - but I have remelted a few trying new things.

Thanks again