Eco Advanced make a pretty candle but...

I have read previous post on Eco Soy Advanced but I wanted to say that I just started testing with this wax and it make the prettiest darn soy candle I have ever seen. Wet spots...have not had one yet....Frosting...not here...Melt Pool....beautiful...HotThrow...now that is my only issue, I have not noticed a dimished cold throw but I'm still not sure about the hot throw..some scents seem to be less then in other soy wax I have tried and some seem to be the same...anyone thoughts or suggestions on how to increase the hot throw in this wax? :tongue2:

I got a few lbs. of this a couple of weeks ago. So far, I have tested it in a 16 oz. apothocary jar using an lx 26 wick and Peak's Amish Harvest. I let them cure for a week. I got a good burn and a pretty decent hot throw. Not great, but decent.

I am burning another made from this wax, also with an lx26 wick but with Peak's Streudel and Spice. The hot throw is very weak.

Not knowing squat about wicking, I am wondering if it's the wick. I was so thrilled to finally have a 16 oz jar completely burn.

I did notice a little wet spot problem, but I used a heat gun and no problem. No frost or any complaints about appearance.

Hopefully someone can help us out here about the hot throw. Is it the fo or wick?

I started out with a HTP 1212 and I noticed that I had a full melt pool in about 1 hour plus my hot throw was gone about half way through the burn. I guess I was burning the FO out of the candle before the wax could catch up to it. :confused:

So I wicked down to HTP 104 and that seems to have improved quality of the hot throw somewhat. I'm just really excited about this wax because it makes such a pretty candle. When selling a candle what comes first..."the appearance or the FO"... I'm using RE, JS,NG and DS FO's so I know they are good quality. Darn it I want it all...a pretty candle that smells good..:P

Yes...this seems to be the thorn in my side....Pretty Candle or Smelly Candle? I want it both ways...but I must say a pretty candle would attract my attention and it does have a nice cold throw...is the hot throw really off that much that it is a problem?

I would think that a pretty candle with a good cold throw might attract a buyer in the first place. But, if there is no hot throw when burning, I wouldn't think folks would likely return. Depending on where you sell, word will get around about that deficiency. JMHO

I would think that a pretty candle with a good cold throw might attract a buyer in the first place. But, if there is no hot throw when burning, I wouldn't think folks would likely return. Depending on where you sell, word will get around about that deficiency. JMHO

I agree...that is why I'm hoping that the hot throw is not really enough to make someone want to return it. So far I have noticed that some FO's are not as strong but some are...maybe it is just a matter of finding the best FO's for this wax. This may limit the FO selection but I don't think offering a ton of different scents is necessarily a good thing. Would rather have quality then quantity...has anyone else noticed that much of a dimished hot throw?

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using Eco Soy CB Advanced as well as Eco Soy PB for about a year. I find that out of all the fragrance oils I bought, I had maybe 2 or 3 that were weaker than others. I only added alittle more the next time to solve the problem. I get my oils from Bittercreek and The Candle Source. I find the soy wax really hold their oils. They certainly do make beautiful candles! I just received a large order of small mason jars and I can't wait to try them out!

Shannon

If you think there is no wet spots with this wax, i will send you a spare set of glasses. Heat gun it and watch the color get more vibrant etc. Its there. But, its all good compared to the ugly MR. FROSTY. As far as hot throw, havent tested every scent yet, but the stronger ones still work very well, i havent tried the more delicate scents, that could be a problem.

Well I'm still having my issues with this wax...I want to use it as I have had a lot of luck with hardly any frost and an occasional wet spots. I agree with Iammommytwo...the better stronger scents throw with no problem and the more this wax cures the better. Some of the lighter more floral scents need to be very good quality made for soy FO with a good cure time. I'm going back and forth with Adanced and CB135 and yes, I tried mixing them together did not notice any difference. Dan at Candlescience said to add a 1/2 teaspoon to the 135 to cut down on frosting and it seems to help, at least that is what I noticed...so who knows...the saga continues! :cool2:

Hi Isbennis, just wanted to know what it was that you were told to add? 1/2 teas. of what? Sorry if I missed something! ~Dana

oh...sorry about that...lol...add 1/2 tsp of UV Inhibitor, I can't say for sure that this will work but it seems that since I started doing that I have not had too much of a problem with frost in the CB135, but I do live in a very warm climate so that may have something to do with it. HTH ;)

I had the same issue with this wax back in the day. Pretty candle, so-so cold and hot throw. For me that didn't cut it. So I chose to work with a fuglier wax with a much better scent throw... Cargill C-3 Naturewax. I get some tiny sinkholes, a smooth top, sometimes a hairline crack around the wick, vibrant color, occassional light frosting on top, and some wet spots. That is where my handy heat gun comes in! After I let them sit for 24 hours, I blast the uglies with a heat gun, and end up with a pretty and fabulous smelling candle.

Now, being that I have a short attention span, I am moving toward a parasoy blend...I'm trying Becky's 50-50 from JS in a couple of days when I have time. I'm getting tired of having a pretty candle that looks like crapola after the first couple of burns, and I'm hoping they'll set up better on their own without the help of a heat gun. We shall see!