Sales Reps & Quotas, can anyone help?

CSAS

I have a sales rep, my first and only. She hasn't had any new clients in 3 months. She has had a reorder in this time period, though. She hasn't kept in contact with me in the 3 months, also. So my question is, what type of quota do you require your reps to have? And, if they do not meet them, what are the consequences? I feel that if she is not going to stay in touch, or attempt to pick up new clients, then she is inactive and shouldn't continue to receive commission on reorders. What does everyone else think?

thanks for the help

Tracy

It will all depend on how you pay her, to say if she should have a quota or not. I know all about quotas, and they usually can bring high dollars if you achieve them, in my workplace. Do you pay her on commission, gross sales or hourly? If she hasn't been doing very well for you, and doesn't even bother contacting you for 3 months- it would be safe to say she lacks the sales mentality. Ditch her quick and find someone that does.

IMO, the only consequence for lacking in sales is a replacement salesperson.

You can't set structured guidelines and goals without compensation or incentives, period. This person you have now doesn't seem to be goal oriented, or the structure you have in place for financial compensation might need to be looked over to seem more lucrative. If she did get a reorder for you, I would think that she should be paid, and then dismissed. My suggestion to you is to draw up a very specific and detailed description of what you expect from the sales rep and how they will be rewarded. In writing, signed by both parties and notarized. Give them a copy, and keep one on file. I cannot stress enough the importance of putting this in writing.

Sales people are motivated by money, just as you are.

The more they can make, the more they will sell. Trust me on this. :wink2:

A real salesperson does not come cheap, but they can make you a whole lot of money with the right structure and volume rewards put into place.

I have 3 sales reps. and it has been slow going for them because of the summer months. I am starting to get busy as women are starting to order candles. I know these women have full-time jobs and do this part-time, so it isn't a big deal. One thing you might do is make sure this person understands how to sell your products. Does she have the necessary items to sell your products? Brochures, flyers, samples, and price sheets. She might not understand what your goals are to achieve sales. I think you might consider making a phone call to see how she is doing and if she has any questions on how to market your products, so you both are on the same page.:D Good Luck!

She has everything she needs to sell my candles. She approached me on being active in selling my products for me. This is her first and only sales rep job. We've been otgether for just over a year.

I'm not so worried about a quota they have to get to achieve more. I'm worried about, if they don't sell for a period of time, are they still active?

I was thinking if they do not get at least 2 new or reorders per month for 2 consecutive months, then they are considered inactive. To become active, they must achieve 2 new/reorders for 2 months. Then, I have to get into what happens if they just get 1 order per month and so on. That's why I was thinking if somebody had an idea, if this is something that is any contract that they have seen?

I do a straight 15% for this rep. I may change it a bit for new reps. Maybe first 3 new stores/10%, the next 3 stores/12%, then any after that/all is 15%. I don't want to get into getting freebies for achieving so much in sales, I would rather give them gifts when I feel they are doing a great job, even if they didn't hit the sales quota.

Thanks

Tracy