Any scoop or opinion on Local store brands?

blazerina

I'm new to this craft so I have many q's! Right now though, i'm just noticing that everyone gets their supplies on line it seems. I stopped into my local Joanne Fabrics and Craft store just to see if and what they had. They actually had quite a selection of scents, dyes, wicks, etc. Wax and soap too, as well as kits. The main brands seem to be Yaley (?) and 'Life of the party'. I'm guessing that these maybe are not as pure of products as what can be purchased on line? My own assumption is that online prices are cheaper but that's only before shipping. Maybe once I get into it I will find that the scent and additive selection is weak... but for me -right now- I'm just so giddy that I can get my hands on this stuff with out having to pay shipping! But I do intend to seriously get addicted, lol - and therefore HAVE to sell either to afford it or unload it! So I do want to know anyone's opinion on these brands and if the quality is there and if it is worth my money.

Thanks so very much! - Laura

when I first started, I bought supplies from local craft stores. After I realized I could buy wholesale online, i did. I expected it to be way cheaper, which is was, but difference in quality floored me!!

the Fo's I had bought(in store) might as well have been water, the container wax I was using was really crappy as were wicks, even store bought MP was drying and very sub par.

I would never go back to craft store stuff.

Ditto what Soapermom said.

The craftstore candle fragrances average 50% more on cost and do not have much of a throw. The EOs for soap are about the same...total waste of your money.

the craftstore M&P bases run aprox $10 for 2 lbs - you can get bases online for a low as $2.50/lb....so even with shipping cost, you will save money ordering online.

The craftstore wicks do not give the size of the wicks, just small, med & large -- that is not sufficient info for proper wicking of a candle

I started with the craftstore stuff and it was good practice, and doing research here at CT gave me some ideas of what to look for online.

good luck & have fun

Wow. That's depressing, lol. But excellent info to have. Thanks everyone for sharing. I think maybe I'll just use them as back up and practice for now. And I should have thought about the price dif equaling + shipping to working at the same in the end. You are right. It is 9.99 for 2lbs. at a craft store. But I got excited because I thought I'd seen online prices for ONE lb at a time + shipping that worked out to the same. So I thought I stumbled onto a deal, lol. :o Duhh. Lol. I think I've been looking at sooooo many sites i'm going mushy in the brain.

I have a few more presssing q's that I will start a new thread on. I think that's the proper procedure, lol.

Have a great waxy and soapy day all! - Laura

The selection at Joann’s is that great. The FOs and color blocks are very very weak. The wax isnt great either. The paraffin slabs and soy wax - to me - are low grade, they dont hold scent and color well and dont set up too great looking.

You can start out with those just to get a good idea of how to melt wax, when to add color and fragrance, when to pour and see how it all sets up.

Once you see the entire picture of all the steps that are involved with pouring candles, then you will definitely want to start making better quality candles and buy supplies from more reputable companies. Once you do that of course you will have to test your poring temps, wicks and FOs all over again cause all waxes are different.

P.S welcome aboard

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I got excited because I thought I'd seen online prices for ONE lb at a time + shipping that worked out to the same.

...you can order several of the ONE lb blocks in each order on line...but there is nothing wrong with picking up a block at the craftstore to play with & see what it's all about. I'm still a Newbie at soaping M&P but there have been times that I placed my order online then ran to the craftstore & bought a block to play with till my online order came in :grin2: