How can Body Butters be so cheap on ebay???

Noodle

I was looking for something on ebay that had nothing to do with body butter. However, many body butters from the same seller popped up during my search. (Evidently a few key words that I typed must have brought up this seller's listings.) Anyway, this seller has 8 oz body butters listed for $5.99! Isn't this awfully cheap or is it just me??? I sell a lot of body butter and could not possibly sell an 8 ounce jar for under 6 bucks. I sell a 4 ounce jar for $6.00. I buy in bulk all of the time to keep costs down and I have a very nice profit margin. The seller on ebay has been selling for a LONG time. So I was curious how a person can make money on body butter with such low prices. In my opinion, this seller cannot be making anything once you take into account all of the ebay fees, paypal fees, packaging, time to make product, etc... Perhaps I am wrong, but I think that such low prices demeans handmade products for all of us. :embarasse

Maybe because they won't move if they are priced higher. This may not be her main sales outlet - she may be using ebay as a way to advertise and get her name out. I've also seen butters on etsy which are similarly priced.

P.S. Did you notice what she was charging for shipping? She may be making some of it back on shipping if it's high.

The seller's shipping is very fair, even on the low side. So she is not making really anything on shipping. She has over 100 body butters on auction for that price, so I doubt that it is a clearance thing. Even for wholesale this price seems strange because there are ebay fees to consider as well as paypal fees. Maybe she is doing it for the sheer joy of it. Who knows? I just don't know how anyone can consistently sell a shea body butter for so little.

Yeah, and take into consideration...

There are 128 ounces to a gallon. Figure at that rate you would yield roughly 16 8 ounce containers from that gallon. Just for grins figure jars at $1 each and shipping at $10 to get the gallon from the supplier and $30 for the base itself. Just looking at the retail sale price, minus any FO... you're looking at that person making $39.84 on one gallon of base that might cost them $30 wholesale. If you also take into consideration the FO and their time, they might just break even.

Pretty sad if you ask me.

But if they are buying the base in large bulk they are getting a large price break of any where from a few dollars a gallon to as much as ten. Also if you are buy in large bulk you go from shipping UPS to truck shipping and then the saving is even larger. They may even be buy by the drum if they are the saving is huge right there.