Butters and Oils.... how long?

lexigirl

Hi Everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how long butters and oils last. I bought a bunch of stuff last year with the intention of making soap. Right after I bought it I found out I was pregnant and I didn't think it would be good to mess around with lye, so I put it all on a shelf. Now that I have some time I would like to try some body butters with some of the stuff but I don't know if I'm still able to use it. I have had it stored in a dark place but not necessarily a cool place. I would say average temp around 70. I am planning on making it for my own personal use. Is there anyone that could help me out with this. Thanks.

it can depend on what butters and oils. Most have a shelf life of 6 months to a year if stored in cool, dry place, some have a shorter life.

If you have the basics(oilve,coconut, SAO, shea cocoa butter etc.. I would say you are just fine to play with those.

Soapnuts and TLC have shelf life charts for butters and oils.

That's what I was hoping for. I'm guessing by checking out those charts there is no chance that the grape seed oil is any good at this point. Thanks for all the help, this really is a great forum. Everyone seems so friendly.

Other than castor oil, which kinda has a special stink all its own even when fresh, I can usually tell if an oil or butter's gone bad by sniffing. It will have a rancid odor.

Having said that, however, smell alone can't always be a good guide. I had some grapeseed oil that was nearing the end of its shelf life, but it smelled OK so I went ahead and used it. Bad decision. A few weeks later, the bath bombs I made with it smelled a little "off" ... ugh. :embarasse Wrecked a whole batch of eo bombs! They didn't go to waste -- my family just used them up super quickly. But I learned a valuable lesson. :)

I store most of my butters and oils in a refrigerator to help preserve them. HTH