Mixing NG's Joy Wax with Pure Soy Wax

Is there anyone out there that is using this mixture in their candles? I have both NG's soy and Joy wax, tested both, and was wondering if I can have the best of both worlds if I mix the two!!!

I tested 100% Soy but knew right away it wasn't for me! I wanted a bit more of a creamy, less soyey appearance, and a better scent throw, both hot and cold. I found that the only wicks I had at the time (zinc) gave the pure soy a burnt, almost fuel-like smell... maybe that is what turned me away.

Just poured some test candles with Joy Wax and love it so much more that pure soy, however, I am getting terrible sooting unless my wicks are trimmed down to almost nothing! Wicking is also sporatic; I am using Zinc and CD in them, will be trying out HTP this week. I guess it is the fragrance that is determining which wick performs better?

So, anyway, my point! If there is anyone out there that has tested with the mixture of the two, would you have some guidelines to use as far as how high to heat the wax, how high to pour, etc... if there is no one that has done this I will call NG and soon be pouring some experimental candles for you all to observe MY testing! :)

Thank you in advance!

I've never tried either of these two waxes, but I have mixed other waxes together. Basically, once you start mixing, it's trial and error to find the correct pouring temp for your wax. If you're doing a 70/30 mix, higher on the soy, then treat the mix more like the soy wax. If paraffin is predominant, then treat it more like a paraffin. Start by making one small candle to see how it turns out at that pouring temp and then adjust from there :D

I use Joy wax for ALL my containers and the only time that I have any soot is if I wick up too much or if they are burning in a draft. I strictly use zinc's in Joy. I've never mixed Joy with any other wax, so I can't help ya there. Maybe your wick is too big? Just a thought from my past experience with it. HTH Portia

I use Joy wax for ALL my containers and the only time that I have any soot is if I wick up too much or if they are burning in a draft. I strictly use zinc's in Joy. I've never mixed Joy with any other wax, so I can't help ya there. Maybe your wick is too big? Just a thought from my past experience with it. HTH Portia

I actually HAVE found that zincs are working best in the container I chose. It is the Morgan, very curved and hard to wick for me as a beginner! :) However, I was not getting the full melt pool, even with the 62-52-18s. I think I will do a Joy-Soy test just for fun anyway! Hmmm... THANK YOU!

Gosh, I can't believe getting wet spots with Joy. I have been using it for roughly 5 yrs now in ALL my containers and I never heat my jars, containers, etc and don't end up with any wet spots. Portia

Lucky ducky! I follow the directions to the "T" on NG's website for pouring Joy, but still end up with wet spots about 10% of the time! What temp do you pour at? Maybe it has to do with the shape of the jar and how curved it is...? I've only used one jar so far!

Portia, do you ever notice a yellow discoloration on your Joy wax after it has been burned? I was testing Pink Sugar in it and it turned yellowish! Yikes! I have no idea why!

Sandi

Hey Sandi: I've had Pink Sugar do that to my tarts. I was using OK6228/J223 and they yellowed after they had been sitting a while....so I think it might be the FO itself. I also used to use Joy Wax and never had any problems with wet spots...hadn't actually seen a wet spot up close and personal until I switched to paraffin container waxes...so I'm surprised by your comment. I'm not saying it didn't happen to you, I'm just surprised because I never experienced that with Joy. I did, however; experience quite a bit of smoking wicks when I used it, but that usually meant that I had to cut back on the fo a little bit or wick down.

Sandi:

The containers that I use are 8oz sq Mason's, 4 & 8oz tins, heart shaped dishes from Wal-mart, have used 16oz Apoth., 16oz Masons with the handles, 8oz smooth sided masons, etc. I normally heat mine to roughly 190, transfer to my pouring pot, add FO (I use 1.5oz/lb, unless it's a really strong fragrance then 1oz) stir and pour. I normally add my dye to my wax while it's heating in my Presto pot.

I did notice that when I used Pink Sugar (it was a b***h to wick) after the MP cooled the top of it was kinda a pinky yellow. I have also had some candles that I used a certain blue dye in and the top of the MP would be a totally different shade of the candle. That really doesn't bother me though, nor my customers. Could you maybe post a picture of one of your's that you are referring to the wet spots on and let me see it. Not that it won't happen, but I just can't see wet spots using Joy, especially as long as I've been using it. Not that it can't and won't happen though. Portia

BTW: Another fragrance that I NEVER could get wicked using Joy was Angel-Type. Almost EVERY wick I used (zinc's) it would drawn out. I just limited my containers with that FO.

Hey Sandi: I've had Pink Sugar do that to my tarts. I was using OK6228/J223 and they yellowed after they had been sitting a while....so I think it might be the FO itself. I also used to use Joy Wax and never had any problems with wet spots...hadn't actually seen a wet spot up close and personal until I switched to paraffin container waxes...so I'm surprised by your comment. I'm not saying it didn't happen to you, I'm just surprised because I never experienced that with Joy. I did, however; experience quite a bit of smoking wicks when I used it, but that usually meant that I had to cut back on the fo a little bit or wick down.

Well, I'm glad the yellow color is not caused by me! :) I think wet spots really COULD be the jar I am using. I will be pouring some in a straight jar tonight so we can see what gives! Thank you for your input!

Sandi:

The containers that I use are 8oz sq Mason's, 4 & 8oz tins, heart shaped dishes from Wal-mart, have used 16oz Apoth., 16oz Masons with the handles, 8oz smooth sided masons, etc. I normally heat mine to roughly 190, transfer to my pouring pot, add FO (I use 1.5oz/lb, unless it's a really strong fragrance then 1oz) stir and pour. I normally add my dye to my wax while it's heating in my Presto pot.

I did notice that when I used Pink Sugar (it was a b***h to wick) after the MP cooled the top of it was kinda a pinky yellow. I have also had some candles that I used a certain blue dye in and the top of the MP would be a totally different shade of the candle. That really doesn't bother me though, nor my customers. Could you maybe post a picture of one of your's that you are referring to the wet spots on and let me see it. Not that it won't happen, but I just can't see wet spots using Joy, especially as long as I've been using it. Not that it can't and won't happen though. Portia

BTW: Another fragrance that I NEVER could get wicked using Joy was Angel-Type. Almost EVERY wick I used (zinc's) it would drawn out. I just limited my containers with that FO.

Here are some pics! I don't think they are filled too full (see the first pic), but the wet spots are there! I will try some experimenting with things I have learned here to see what I can find out! Thank you much!

Even.jpg

JoyWetSpots.jpg

FourJars.jpg