Pouring question

I'm working on 8 oz jelly jars and 9 oz Hex candles. New problem, which I never had in the summer. Anyways when I do my second pour (usually 10 degrees hotter than the first pour of 170) the wax goes down the side and leaves blotches of cooled wax. Definately, noticable and from the second pour going down the side of where the first pour pulled away. Now I not only have wet spots to deel with I have the cooled wax blotches. A heat gun works but if I can avoid that would be better. The wax is a j223/4786 mix.

Any Advice

Thanks

Tim

What is happening is you are waiting to long to re-pour and the wax in the jar has cooled to the point that it has pulled away from the jar. Thus when you re-pour the hot wax goes between the cooled wax and the jar.

You are letting the wax in the jar cool to long before you re-pour. You need to pour sooner but not too soon. You will have to figure out the best time to re-pour and it will depend on the room temp. also.

If the room temp. is warmer you can waite longer to re-pour but if the room temp. is cooler you will have to re-pour sooner.

Why am I having problems now. I used to pour, make relief holes a little bit later and finally, the next day do the repour to fill the sink holes. Seems if I don't wait for a complete cool I'll have problems with sink wholes after I do a second pour? any thoughts?

Are you pouring in a really drafty spot(aircondition vent)? I found that if they cool to fast they tend to pull away from jar. I let mine cool in a box to help with that. Good luck:)

I have had these same problems so I tested this out,,,,I turned off my A/C and made candles in about a 80 degree room and I had NO wetspots or any re-pour problems,,,then I turned my A/C back on and made some candles and low and behold I have wetspots!!!!!! I read on the Board somewhere that we need to "embrace our wetspots" but it still drives me nuts when it happens:rolleyes2

But Jill is right,,,put your candles in a box to cool,,,see how that turns out

Im going to try it,,,thanks Jill!!!!:grin2:

How far do you fill your jars? I find that with the 9oz hex jars if I fill the jars a little higher then I never have issues with wax going down the sides. However, if I fill the jars just to the bottom of the neck of the jar then sometimes the repour wax does go down the sides.