Is insurance really needed under these circumstances?

TxGirl

Let's say you are only going to sell a few candles to friends, relatives, neighbors, maybe a few on ebay, or maybe even a flea market or craft show later on down the road, and it is not your intention to ever be very big with sales. Is liability insurance really needed? If this is a dumb question, please forgive me, but I am wondering. I haven't sold anything yet because I'm still learning. I've been wondering this and thought I'd ask.

Kim

It doesn't really matter what your long term goals are.

If your taking money for candles- you are a business, and you need to protect your assets. There are too many things that could happen to a candle if used incorrectly. You never know what the end user is doing.

I wouldn't jeopardize my future for anyone.

Liability insurance is a MUST, if you sell- IMO. :wink2:

Thanks everyone. You've given me something to think about.

What about wickless candles? I've been thinking I could go that route for anyone wanting to buy, for safety and liability issues, and save the wicked ones for myself only. Do people buy wickless candles? Is there much of a demand for them? I've been reading that it's getting to be a popular alternative. Is it worth checking into?

Kim

i think even the wickless are a liability as well. The jars can burst causing damage or burn someone like a child if they go to smell it and grab it causing hot liquid to spill onto them. I think if you don't want to carry insurance or can't you might consider another craft that isn't a liability.

Thanks everyone. You've given me something to think about.

What about wickless candles? I've been thinking I could go that route for anyone wanting to buy, for safety and liability issues, and save the wicked ones for myself only. Do people buy wickless candles? Is there much of a demand for them? I've been reading that it's getting to be a popular alternative. Is it worth checking into?

Kim

People will buy wickless once they figure out what they are for. But those people will still abuse a wickless candle and there is still a risk of liability. Insurance is always recommended, but it's up to you as to whether you are a risk-taker or risk-averse, lol. I would check into the prices for insurance before making a decision too. Some people here have gotten some great deals on insurance which may help your decision :)