GB464 + Crisco ?

I hope someone can give some imput on this.

I have been testing with GB464 and I have the wicking test completed, and I am getting smooth tops, but in order not to see the frosting, I have been making them w/o dye. Has anyone added Crisco or Mineral OIl to the GB464 and noticed any change in frosting issues?, or wicking/throw/color changes? I sure do miss my colors. Hoping to hear from anyone that uses GB464 and having good results with it. I would really like to make this wax part of my line because I can pick it up w/o shipping and that is such a saving.

And yes, I searched and found a couple of old threads.

Thanks to all who reply...OH Cathy

I hope someone can give some imput on this.

I have been testing with GB464 and I have the wicking test completed, and I am getting smooth tops, but in order not to see the frosting, I have been making them w/o dye. Has anyone added Crisco or Mineral OIl to the GB464 and noticed any change in frosting issues?, or wicking/throw/color changes? I sure do miss my colors. Hoping to hear from anyone that uses GB464 and having good results with it. I would really like to make this wax part of my line because I can pick it up w/o shipping and that is such a saving.

And yes, I searched and found a couple of old threads.

Thanks to all who reply...OH Cathy

Crisco is just hydrogenated soy & cottonseed oil and wont help with frosting.

If you added miniral oil that would replace the amount of FO you could add to the wax and no it will not help frosting and may cause smoking/soothig.

If you want to keep you wax natural you can add beeswax. Now paraffin mixed with soy, at the right %, will kill ugly tops & frosting.

I added 7 oz of Crisco to 3 lbs of 464, 8% fo, poured at 135 and got ugly tops, great color and no frosting. I used the heat gun and the tops are still like cottage cheese. I will let them set a few days and burn.

Next day the frosting reappeared.

I also added 7oz of mineral oil to 3lbs of 464, same results, ugly tops, can't smooth them out with a heat gun.

I will try cutting down on the Crisco, just to cut the frosting, and forget the mineral oil.

Just a last note to anyone considering this. At one week the Crisco candles started to sweat, this is not good for me. The straight 464 candles did not sweat.

• 3 years later...

Hi, I use the 464, I get some frosting, but nothing i cant live with, and no one has complained to me. I did notice that the hotter I poured the better the tops came out. I pour around 165 or 170. I am so new that at this point I am not worried about the tops, I am more concerned w/ what fo throw good in the wax. Did some burn testing today,and was gonna post results on that later:cheesy2: Hope you get the kinks worked out. Do you by chance happen to know a pumpkin pie scent that is strong and throws well in this wax. I use pumpkin souffle from cs, but I am wanting a spicy pumpkin for this fall/ winter. Thanks, natalie