CB Adv HELP & ADVICE please!!

Ok. I bought a little from the classies here that came from Candle Science & decided to break it out tonight.

CS recommends pouring at 125. At what point do I add the fo? I plan to use Peak's Amish Harvest. Just got it and want to give it a whirl. I plan to use a 16 oz apoth jar. CS recommends and LX 26 as best.

Please, if any of you have experience with this wax, help me before I have another crappy candle! :confused:

I heat it up to 180 then add color. I add my fo at 170, and pour at 145. I find that pouring a little warmer I hardly ever get cracks or sink holes. I use double htp wicks in my 16 oz apothocary jars. Good luck and let us know how they turn out!:smiley2:

I've been using this wax for as long as it's been out and I love it. I heat to 180, don't use color, add the FO directly after weighing the wax, and pour at 150ish. I too use a 16oz apoth, which I wick with either a CD16 or 18 depending on the FO, single wick. The only scent I can't get to burn in this wax is Frank & Myrrh. Hope this helps.

Gretchen

What I really don't understand is the differences in wick recommendations for waxes on the different supplier sites. I know most of the tables match the container size and wax type but not the fo. However, there does seem to be such a wide variation.

I went ahead and poured last night using the instructions from Candle Science and the LX 26 in the apoth jar. I think I will do another now trying a cd 16 single wick.

How long should I let these cure before test burning? A week?

I don't have answers to your questions, but I just started making candles and I'm using CB Adv. and I really like it. I did a CB Adv. candle yesterday with no other wax added, with Bitter Creak South Candy Corn FO in 2 - 8 oz jars and the scent throw both hot and cold is fantastic! I don't have much experience yet, but I'm glad I chose the CB Adv. to start with for the soy candles. I'm trying a 70/30 blend tonight with the CB Adv and J223.

Also, I'm really liking the way LX wicks burn in the soy. The flame seems hotter and they create a really good melt pool, and burn clean.

Kim

I have been using this wax for just over a year now. I heat to no more than 150-155, add FO @ 140-145, and pour @ 125 in the warmer weather and @ 155 in the colder weather (into warmed jars).

I generally use 6% FO. If I don't get a good throw w/that- I don't use it. Some of the darker/heavier oils I can even cut back.

Frosting is not an issue, but wetspots are and I can deal w/those.

HTH

I appreciate all the responses from you folks about this. I decided to go ahead and start a test burn last night cause I couldn't stand it any longer! The first burn (@ 5 hrs) was satisfactory--no soot, smoke, etc. and the melt pool extended to the edges of the jar. And by gosh, I do believe there is a decent hot throw. I had read so much about problems with Peak's AH in soy, so I was apprehensive. I'm doing another burn now, and I'm not sure yet, but it looks like there might be some hangup in the jar. I read back over this cause I wanted to have another wick ready to replace the LX 26 with. I thought I had bought every sample set on the planet, but I have no CD or RRD wicks! (at least I can't find any) Should I try an LX 28?

Thank you. It's been burning for about 3 hrs now and the hangup doesn't look as bad as I thought it would be. Still no smoke or soot and a nice scent throw. I've never changed a wick in a container before, so I didn't know at what point I should do that. Just learned how a week or so ago on another thread. You folks are great!