Newbie here! Is a crock pot OK for melting?

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here, just starting out. My supplies will arrive tomorrow (Friday) and I can't wait to start playing with my new hobby! ;-)

I've been doing a ton of reading and researching. I think I'm pretty much all set and ready to begin. I've ordered 10 (or is it 11) lbs. of CB Advanced soy wax, and also 11 lbs of J223. Also 4 color dyes and 12 FOs. The wicks I chose are LX 14 & LX 18. I will be using 8 oz jelly jars. Does this all sound OK? The one thing I'm the most unsure of is the wicks both size and type.

Anyway, I also wanted to know if a small crock pot will work to melt the wax? I thought it would be perfect for starting out since I'll be doing just small amounts at a time. I figure I'll start with working with just 1 lbs ar a time. It holds about 8 - 10 cups. It has settings in High, Low and Warm. Do you think this will work?

Thanks in advance. I've been reading here for a few days and have learned a lot!

Kim

I'd first like to take the time and congratulate you on choicing an adicting habit ;) . I'm new also, but I have a few things that would deffinitly help you out. Keep on reading this board and ALL of the old threads, absorb it like a sponge, but keep an open mind. The crock pot is dangerous because you can't really have a feel for the temp, I.e. low,med,warm. I'd advice purchasing an temperate controled one which you could find at walmart for 20$ (I purchased it but I forgot what brand it is) just make sure theres numuric temp control. Umm also on the wick sizes, I'd advise you to purchase a sample kit in the type you'd like to start out with. It well help you determine in the end which size you'll need. Because my guess is (because mine was) the wicks you purchased currently well be too big or small. anyway I hope you enjoy it and have the funds to support your new addiction. best of luck to you. oh ya one more thing. when starting out to find the right wick, START that by not wicking them until cooled. then after it's cooled down place a wick. By doing that you can pull out the wick and adjust to the needs alot easier. I made that mistake with the first 4-5 candles I made.

While a crock pot will probably melt wax, it may not be as safe as some other methods because you may have difficulty adjusting the temps and holding a steady temp. A double boiler method or a presto pot would likely be safer.

Buy a thermometer for whatever you use melt your wax in. A thermometer is a must. Many candle makers on this board use a "Presto Kitchen Kettle" because it's easier to adjust and hold a steady heat. On this candletech forum they are commonly called presto pots. You will still need a thermometer to check your temps.

Presto Kitchen Kettles can be purchased at Wal Mart for around 22 dollars. You may be able to find a suitable themometer at Michaels or Hobby Lobby or one of the many candle supplers on the internet.

This link will show you what a presto kitchen kettle looks like: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-1/qid=1155282729/ref=sr_1_1/602-8835398-4323824?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B00006IUWH note the temp setting dial on the bottom right corner of the pot. This dial can be turned a little bit at a time continuously instead of a "low" "medium" "high" type of heat setting. By using a dial like this one and a *thermometer* you can set your temp a few degrees at a time and then hold that temp.

Question about your suggestion--how do you insert the wick when cooled to test? I have sooo many badly wicked candles and need to know this!

Luci, when the candle has completely set up, you poke a hole in the middle all the way down using a skewer. You stick the wick in (no tab) and then heat gun it in place. Once it has set up again, and the wick has been trimmed to the right length, you're ready to test it.

Thank you all for the replies. I have several cooking thermometers here to use so I'll try one of those. I had a feeling the wicks aren't going to be right. I should have ordered a sample pack. I'm going to order a few things this weekend and will certainly get one in the next order. I'll look at WalMart this weekend too for a Presto pot. In the meantime I'll try a double boiler instead of the crock pot.

About trying different wicks. I read last night some old posts and found out how to wick them after cooling so I can try different wicks. That's a great idea!

Thanks again everyone. I'll keep on reading all the good info. :-)

Kim

Thank you all for the replies. I have several cooking thermometers here to use so I'll try one of those. I had a feeling the wicks aren't going to be right. I should have ordered a sample pack. I'm going to order a few things this weekend and will certainly get one in the next order. I'll look at WalMart this weekend too for a Presto pot. In the meantime I'll try a double boiler instead of the crock pot.

About trying different wicks. I read last night some old posts and found out how to wick them after cooling so I can try different wicks. That's a great idea!

Thanks again everyone. I'll keep on reading all the good info. :-)

Kim

Wick sample packs are great to keep on hand so you always have a kind & size to test.

I'm new as well but ordering sampler wick packs are a must. It never fails when you're trying new containers, wax, fo, etc... you'll need to wick up or down and don't have that next size on hand. Some wicks seem to do better in soy or soy blends. Some wicks have wider range of sizes than others. Some wicks throw better in particular applications than others. I would start first with what wicks are recommended for your CBA....at least you have a starting point. Maybe you'll get lucky and find the right combo right off the bat. I have found everyone on here is very helpful & will answer your questions quickly which is nice as in the beginning you're so excited & running to the kitchen to pour a new batch with any info you get on here (or at least that's what I do :yes: ). Most importantly have fun!!!

I used a crock pot before I knew of better ways. It took forever to melt wax and there is no specific temp control. Save yourself the trouble and either use a double boiler method with a pour pot or can or what have you or get a presto pot. Prestos are not that expensive at wally world and if you quit making candles then you can make french fries. :)

Luci, when the candle has completely set up, you poke a hole in the middle all the way down using a skewer. You stick the wick in (no tab) and then heat gun it in place. Once it has set up again, and the wick has been trimmed to the right length, you're ready to test it.

Thanks. I had a feeling that was what I should be doing but wasn't sure! This helps a lot--especially with my 16 oz apoth jar fight!

• 2 weeks later...