Advice Please

Ok. I have some J223 and some Cb135. When you combine waxes...which pouring temp do you use? I done some reading...some mix 75p/25s, some 50/50 and some 70s/30p. Which is the best place to start? I've been using J223 but would like a little more hot throw so I'm ready to try anything. Please advise which way to go. Ginger

I poured around 150 and they look pretty good except on one there is kind of a white ring around the top...like you would have on beer. Only on one right now. Isn't there a longer peroid of time to wait before you burn to test scent throw? Right now...not burning...I don't smell much of anything. Thanks Candleman for the info. Ginger

Candleman's got it right about the temps. Plus, once you decide what % blend you want, you can play with the pouring temp and find what works best. I just tested a 70/30 blend where I poured at 150 and the candle came out perfectly. The top was absolutely flat and no wetspots at all. For my 50/50 tester, I poured around 165 and it came out really nice too. I do like being able to pour hot. As far as wicking, I'm finding that mine are burning more like soy, so I need to wick up a little from what I would use for just paraffin container wax. :)

I mostly used zinc in my container candles with paraffin...will those work with a 50/50 blend or will I need another type of wick? My wick collection is mightly slim....cd's for votives and zinc for votives and containers. I read somewhere what using less soy really won't mess with your current wicking...is that correct in most cases? Ginger

I haven't tried the zinc in a parasoy, so I'm not sure. The only way to really know is to try them out. They just might work for you. If you use a small amount of soy, say 30% or less, you may be able to keep your current wicking. I would definitely try that and then up the amount of soy only if necessary. Maybe start with a 75/25 blend with your current wicking and see how that turns out?

How long until I can test burn? I've seen any where from 3 days to 3-4 weeks. Does a paraffin/soy mix have a week cold throw after you first pour it? If it is mostly paraffin, do you "treat" it more like a paraffin candle or once you put soy in it, is it "different"? Does any of this make sense??? I am still reading but some questions I just don't find answers for. Ginger

Cure for as long as you want. I can't let my candles cure for two weeks before giving them to a customer. So, I don't let my testers cure for two weeks. I would say anywhere from 3-5 days would be good. If you don't get the throw you want, then let it cure longer and see if that helps. You just have to jump in and get your feet wet :D

I made 3 candles..4oz,8oz and 11.5 oz. The first one poured looked the best but I did have wet spot...one big one. The other two have the white spotty stuff on it. Were the last two maybe too cool when they were poured? This is the first time I've ever touched soy...ever! Not much cold scent throw but I just poured yesterday...is that normal? I think my next batch will be 1/3 soy and the rest j223. Ginger