Im New And Need Some Words Of Wisdom

Hi Folks I discovered this board and Candle Tech by accident, best accident I ever had! I discovered Soy candles several weeks ago and was intrigued by them since they dont irritate me. I have COPD and am on oxygen. I set up next to a lady selling these in a flea market and fell in love with them. The only problem was that she tried to sell me on Candle Wealth which is multi level marketing and I dont like pyramid deals. So I went and bought a kit off of Ebay with all the basic stuff including 10 pounds of wax, what kind of soy I dont know. I made my first candle tonight and now really have the bug.

What I need help on is choosing a good Soy wax and a good supplier.

Im looking at Florida soy solution.com since they are 15 minutes from me.

They sell:

Enchanted Lites 100% Soy Container Wax

Enchanted Lites MiLLennium Soy/Veg Blend Wax

I also am looking at CandLe Science.com

They sell:

Ecosoya CB135

Ecosoya CB Advanced

Ecosoya CBPure Soy

CargiLL Nature Wax

I am also trying to figure out what wicks to use.

I have already bought my scents that I wanted from Natures Garden and

I am pleased with their customer service and product. I know everyone I

have talked to says "gee making candles sounds easy" but I am discovering that its not as easy as it looks. I am however having lots of fun!

Any help you could give a poor old beginer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

John

Thanks for the advise . I am going to check with the supplier by my house as soon as they open back up for business. His wife just had a baby so they are closed this week. I checked shipping cost on wax from some suppliers and wow its costly. Plus theres a big variance in prices but im finding 49 to 51 dollars is the norm.

Have any of you used Natures Garden Before?

I am trying them for scents.

Hi John and Welcome to the board!!!:yay: I don't post a lot here but can tell you NG is an awesome supplier for your scents alnog with great customer service. As far as wax you should find a suppler closest to you to save as much as you can on shipping. The starter kit you bought off ebay I'm sure if you email the seller they can let you know just what type of soy wax it is so if you like it you can check with suppliers closest to you and see if they carry it. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of SOY!!! HTH Cindy/WI

welcome John :wave:

I was just talking to Melissa about you (had to order some FO's on sale). She is a great lady, and always eager to help. I also order from CandleScience, and have been for over a year. I like that I can get my things in 2 days! They also have great FO's, and customer service.

What kind of wax are you trying??

Feel free to PM me. I'd be more than happy to try and help you :D. And so will many others on here- so POST AWAY, John!!

Hi Sheri,

Thanks for the offer of help. I ordered the 444 Golden Brand from Soy Candle.com and I was treated great! I chose them over a local supplier.

What sold me was the level of customer service from Jason and Melisa.

Is the wax good? Well I guess I am going to find out but from what I read Golden Brands rates pretty high and this is supposed to be an improved version of the 444. Plus their prices are very reasonable on wax(downright cheap) so it was economical to buy from them. I also ordered wicks from them, the only thing they didnt have was warning labels and wick stickers and wick bars.

as a matter of fact, Melissa was just telling me about the new version of the 444. But I am currently using the 464, and CB Advanced from CandleScience. I only did a small amt of testing w/the 444, so I may not be able to help you there.

I have been getting my warning labels and wick stickums from BitterCreekNorth. They will ship prority.

What kind of jars will you be using?

I tried that soysolutions.com site (being nosey) and that domain name is for sale, so I am not sure about them.

HTH

John,

In place of wick bars, you might want to look into the Wick Centering Tools for containers. They are made by EZ Wick System (website is www.ezwicksystem.com). They don't sell them retail from their site so you'd have to go to one of their distributors.

Bitter Creek has them: http://secure.candlesupply.com/catalog_page.cfm?queries_index=index7&ProductCodeID=46&ProductSubCodeID=231

Check out the Wick Centering Tools for Containers towards the bottom of the page. If you use those, you may use a clothespin to make sure the wick stays taut while the wax hardens.

John,

In place of wick bars, you might want to look into the Wick Centering Tools for containers. They are made by EZ Wick System (website is www.ezwicksystem.com). They don't sell them retail from their site so you'd have to go to one of their distributors.

Bitter Creek has them: http://secure.candlesupply.com/catalog_page.cfm?queries_index=index7&ProductCodeID=46&ProductSubCodeID=231

Check out the Wick Centering Tools for Containers towards the bottom of the page. If you use those, you may use a clothespin to make sure the wick stays taut while the wax hardens.

These things are the best!! They are much better than the wick bars. You will not be disappointed :D

Ladies thanks for the suggestion of wick centering tools. I just got off the phone from placing an order for them with Bitter Creek. Nice folks to deal with. I had to call back because I forgot to order warning labels and they were able to squeeze it in with out having to charge me shipping for another order. Hope these work since its hard to find the old wooden clothes pins.

SHERI , I just noticed from your earlier post that your from my neck of the woods,, being a guy im a little slow to notice things ,,its a guy thing , We read but sometimes our minds only see what we want to see :)

Yes I am a true native Floridian one of the last(the others all moved up north) The nice thing is I live next to Mickey Mouse Land! its great having disney 15 minutes from year house but whats even better is living 3 minutes from Universal Studios!

Ladies thanks again for all the advise!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi John...welcome to the Candletech :wave: I'm in S. Florida and I get most of my supplies from Candlescience, FloridaSoySolution and SoyCandle.com...not too many suppliers in the Florida area but those are the best ones I could find with great customer service that are reasonable close.