Latex vs Silicone Molds

Hi -- I am just starting out and I was looking at the molds that One Stop has online and wondering why they are discontinuing their latex molds and why silicone molds so much more expensive? Are silicone molds better than latex molds?

Thanks for your help.

:)

Hi -- I am just starting out and I was looking at the molds that One Stop has online and wondering why they are discontinuing their latex molds and why silicone molds so much more expensive? Are silicone molds better than latex molds?

Thanks for your help.

:)

Yes they are. Here are the basic differences but there are more tech. differences too.

Silicone molds are thicker and withstand many pourings.

Latex molds are thin & strechy and need a support structure to hold them up to pour in them.

FYI for silicone - when pouring colored wax into them the mold will pick-up color from wax. If you can afford it I would suggest buying 2 or 3 molds of each style you want. The reason being is use one for un-colored wax, use another for pastel colors and another for dark colors. If you pour a dark color then pour and un-colored in the same mold the un-colored will pick-up color from the dark color.

FYI for silicone - when pouring colored wax into them the mold will pick-up color from wax. If you can afford it I would suggest buying 2 or 3 molds of each style you want. The reason being is use one for un-colored wax, use another for pastel colors and another for dark colors. If you pour a dark color then pour and un-colored in the same mold the un-colored will pick-up color from the dark color.

I've never had any of my silicone molds bleed color into another candle and I go from black to pastels to darker colors all the time!! :cool2: