Wicking Libbey's Vibe jar

Just ordered the 12 oz vibe and can't wait to try it. I use 223/soy blend. In my thinking, a wick always gets hotter in the last 1/3. Well, the last 1/3 is larger, so it should work perfect. Ha!!! Will post results. Carole

I'm having a hard time finding them...where did you buy yours at?

For those of you interested here's a pic of a 12oz libbey vibe jar, http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i170/workingmomathome/P8010209.jpg

FMP in a little over 2hrs. This pic taken at 3hrs. 15min. Back side wasn't as deep with MP. I'm using 444 GB wax, CDN14 wick, Cinn Bun FO with one drop off coffee dye. This wax seemed promising with an awesome cold throw but hot throw is just so-so. I still haven't made anything (soy) that the hot throw is just awesome :cry2: . I don't know how you guys are doing it or I'm just too picky.

Looks like a pretty big 'shroom on that wick, too. Thanks for sharing. :)

What size room are you trying to scent? I was testing 8 ounce jars in my front room and a lot of them weren't cutting it. Then I realized that (since I have an open floor plan with the kitchen and front room) I was essentially trying to scent around 600 square feet with this little candle.

I started testing in a 10x11 bedroom and the same candles blew the door off. ;)

Here's my 2nd test burn at 6hrs. burning when pic was taken. FMP but some hang-up on the back side (1/3 with hang up). Any thoughts, comments, etc... Does anyone think so far this is a good wick for this container? I'll keep updating if this is useful info to someone out there!

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i170/workingmomathome/P8020210.jpg

Silky, keep posting. I poured mine today. One in 223/soy and the other in 6006. I'll start testing them tomorrow. The one thing I don't like about the jar is that it looks tiny, can't believe it holds as much wax as it does. Holds the same amount as my 11 oz tureen and the tureen looks much bigger?? I thought you were looking for that jar, didn't know you already had it!! Carole

I got restless and bought one at the container store in addition to the 26oz (think that's the size). I agree completely...it looks really small. The libbey's 8 oz status is a lot taller but when I asked my hubby which one had more he picked the vibe and thought it had about 3oz more than the status so that's pretty close. I looked at the 4oz vibe too but it looked like you could only fit a pebble in it, lol. Visually it just doesn't look the oz. it should hold. How did you wick it Carole?

Also wanted to add I couldn't find any place local that's carrying this style either...doesn't that seem weird?

Thoughts? Mushroom wasn't as big this time, btw.

That's true, but it's working awfully hard to make that melt pool.

According to the Libbey catalogue that jar is just under 2.75" at the top and 3.75" at the base, right? So even if the jar holds in a lot of heat that wick may have a hard time keeping it up as the wax level drops and the jar gets closer to 25% wider.

In short, it looks like the wick isn't keeping up.

Personally I'd love to see this double wicked (maybe 2 CD5's to start?), but I prefer the look of double wicks anyway. ;)

Just out of curiousity, did you end up moving it to a smaller room to test the throw?

Thanks again for showing your results. :)

Yes I did, thank you and I failed to mention that...it's in our master bath...it has made a huge difference and fragrances the entire area, 12X10.

Ok, that's what I need to hear...I have zero experience with double wicking. I need to order a sample pack of CDNs then. I had no clue how to wick it...just did something bigger than what I'd use for a 2.5" diameter and hoped for the best :) . Can you explain further what is telling you the wick is working too hard? I'm struggling with understanding what I need to change wick wise when I see certain things. Big mushroom I understand to wick down but that's as far as my knowledge goes on trouble shooting wick size. TIA for your feedback...much appreciated!!

Can you explain further what is telling you the wick is working too hard?

I don't think it should take >6 hours to get a full melt pool on a ~2.8" jar.

I'm struggling with understanding what I need to change wick wise when I see certain things. Big mushroom I understand to wick down but that's as far as my knowledge goes on trouble shooting wick size.

Most of us are in the same boat. ;)

Underwicking can also cause a mushroom. The mushroom is just unburnt fuel (wax, FO, dye) that has been sucked up to the top of the wick but not burnt off. So a mushroom can be the result of too little burning or...too much sucking...(or both).

Another symptom of overwicking (in addition to the mushroom) is a lot of smoking. I didn't see any indication of that in your pic, although I realize it's just a picture and you can't see everything that way, of course.

Glad you found a solution to the throw issue. :)

Mushroom wasn't as big this time, btw.

Definitely the mushroom is usually bigger on the first burn - my theory on that after watching very closely what is happening is that because you are trimming an unburned (not charred) wick - the cut flattens the wick because of the priming and makes the top flare out a bit - and when you light it you can even see sometimes that the threads in the wick split out on the edge - and THAT is where the shroom gets bigger and bigger and splits off into those hydra-type mushrooms. Its even worse if you trim with dull scissors. Since after the first burn you are cutting a charred wick - that doesn't happen, and the mushroom is smaller since the wick is not usually split out like it was on the first cut.

I don't think it should take >6 hours to get a full melt pool on a ~2.8" jar.

Most of us are in the same boat. ;)

Underwicking can also cause a mushroom. The mushroom is just unburnt fuel (wax, FO, dye) that has been sucked up to the top of the wick but not burnt off. So a mushroom can be the result of too little burning or...too much sucking...(or both).

Another symptom of overwicking (in addition to the mushroom) is a lot of smoking. I didn't see any indication of that in your pic, although I realize it's just a picture and you can't see everything that way, of course.

Glad you found a solution to the throw issue. :)

I guess I didn't make it clear that the FMP wasn't in 6hrs. but that's when I took the pic. I'm not real sure but I think about 4hrs. for a FMP with hang-up on 1/3 of jar...the hang up over the next couple of hours still hung around but hoping the deeper it gets it'll catch up. I guess I've been relying on not getting a FMP in a timely manner to tell me it's too small of a wick. But I think you're right and need to just double wick this jar.

Definitely the mushroom is usually bigger on the first burn - my theory on that after watching very closely what is happening is that because you are trimming an unburned (not charred) wick - the cut flattens the wick because of the priming and makes the top flare out a bit - and when you light it you can even see sometimes that the threads in the wick split out on the edge - and THAT is where the shroom gets bigger and bigger and splits off into those hydra-type mushrooms. Its even worse if you trim with dull scissors. Since after the first burn you are cutting a charred wick - that doesn't happen, and the mushroom is smaller since the wick is not usually split out like it was on the first cut.

I'm trimming a charred wick every time...what is it suppose to be? Every wick I've used (except for zinc which has been self trimming) I've had black residue from wick all over my hands and fallin into the jar...but not sure how to avoid that. How did you know I've been cutting with dull scissors? Hehe! I had no idea how it's cut will make a difference...interesting!

Duh me...nevermind on the charred wick...I get what you're saying now.

I guess I didn't make it clear that the FMP wasn't in 6hrs. but that's when I took the pic. I'm not real sure but I think about 4hrs. for a FMP with hang-up on 1/3 of jar...the hang up over the next couple of hours still hung around but hoping the deeper it gets it'll catch up.

That's what really makes this jar so interesting (to me, anyway). Most straight-sided jars that are taller than they are wide will burn hotter as the wax level drops and what was a great wicking on the 1st and 2nd burn is almost a flame-fest by the bottom 1" of the jar.

But this jar gets larger as it goes towards the base. So even though the jar will keep more heat in as the wax level gets lower, it also has a larger diameter to melt, which would need more heat anyway.

It's been great so far to see your preliminary testing, because I am wondering what the "perfect" wicking on the 1st and 2nd burns will look like with burn #5-? with this jar and it's unique shape.

So, like Bugtussle said, Keep Posting! I'm curious to see what will happen as you go further with this jar. :)

That's what really makes this jar so interesting (to me, anyway). Most straight-sided jars that are taller than they are wide will burn hotter as the wax level drops and what was a great wicking on the 1st and 2nd burn is almost a flame-fest by the bottom 1" of the jar.

But this jar gets larger as it goes towards the base. So even though the jar will keep more heat in as the wax level gets lower, it also has a larger diameter to melt, which would need more heat anyway.

It's been great so far to see your preliminary testing, because I am wondering what the "perfect" wicking on the 1st and 2nd burns will look like with burn #5-? with this jar and it's unique shape.

So, like Bugtussle said, Keep Posting! I'm curious to see what will happen as you go further with this jar. :)

Great, I'm glad it's helping! I'm axious to to see what will happen too. I did burn a 3rd time for approx. 3hrs. (don't have my notes in front of me) last night...it was close to a full melt pool. I'll be able to burn again once I get home from cleaning & will update!